chorus

Rub talcum powder on your cheeks
The crowds are lined up and down the streets
Don't mind the traffic; everyone's stuck
Friends pile in the back of pick up trucks

chorus

(@davidhodge)

Hi James

I think this is Songkran is why Paul chose to spend the middle of April visiting friends in Hanoi instead of being in Chiang Mai!

Lots of water balloons, too, no?

I enjoyed this a lot but for a dance number there's a lot of uneveness in the underlying rhtyhms, especially on the chorus and I'm not sure if it's intentional or just something that happened during the production. All the various rhythms seem to come across best in the last vers and then the first two lines of the last chorus. But then it gets all tangled again and the different rhythms seem more of a clash than being complimentary to each other.

Never having been ambitious enough to attempt something like this I can't say whether it's just something that can be smoothed out in the production or whether a new unifying underlying rhythm track should be laid down first. Again, my concern for this as an electronic dance number is that you're going to have a lot of dancers twist an ankle trying to catch themselves up on the beat!

Lyrically, it works fine. Nice party imagery and it does a good job of making something that might seem bizarre to this part of the world both fun and an occasion one would look forward to being a part of. Especially enjoyed the atmosphere of the last two verses.

Pardon the pun, but this is very cool! Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Dave,
I think this is Songkran is why Paul chose to spend the middle of April visiting friends in Hanoi instead of being in Chiang Mai!

Yes, it's an either you love it or hate it....It's had to stay "neutral" in a country wide water fight :wink:
I enjoyed this a lot but for a dance number there's a lot of uneveness in the underlying rhtyhms, especially on the chorus and I'm not sure if it's intentional or just something that happened during the production.

I agree. I think a little better planning would have helped. The chorus was the first loop I started with, but it's not really a straight forward beat. I hind sight, I should have taken the elements of what I liked and made a straight forward beat.
I can't say whether it's just something that can be smoothed out in the production or whether a new unifying underlying rhythm track should be laid down first.

If I have time today, I am going to play around with it more to see if it's an easy fix, or a start from scratch scenario. :roll:

Again, my concern for this as an electronic dance number is that you're going to have a lot of dancers twist an ankle trying to catch themselves up on the beat!
:lol: adds a new meaning to "twist and shout"

Thanks for the listen and post. :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

POOF :mrgreen: Tempo changes tightened and Rap Lyrics version added 8) *

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I listened to both versions....not my musical cup of tea at all, but kudos to you for trying something different. You should actually feel highly honoured - anything like that comes on the radio, I normally change the channel with 3-4 seconds - I lasted at least a verse and a chorus, and into the 2nd verse before I thought "enough!"

Negatives? it's dance music, and it's rap music - I really don't like either. That's me, though.

Positives? Well, they outweigh the negatives....it's well put together, the lyrics are fine (apart from one section I'll come back to) the music works WITH the lyrics and you're pushing the boundaries, trying something new again.

OK, the lyrics....it's a minor complaint, 'cos I know very little about Thailand, but in this verse....

Rub talcum powder on your cheeks
The crowds are lined up and down the streets
Don't mind the traffic; everyone's stuck
Friends pile in the back of pick up trucks....

There's a distinct lack of aquatic imagery - it does tend to stick out a little, BUT that's just reading the lyrics. (Forgive me, I just absolutely COULD NOT listen that far on the MP3 - like I said, I'm just not that keen on that kind of music. But maybe that'sjust pressing the song on to its logical conclusion, and that's what really happens in Thailand....I dunno....

But like I said, top marks for having the cojones for trying something spectacularly different from the norm....BUT - how the hell are you going to follow this one?

All the best JT,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

You should actually feel highly honoured - anything like that comes on the radio, I normally change the channel with 3-4 seconds
Actually, I really do. I figured it's not a favorite style around these parts, but I know you're willing to "suffer through it" to help out a fellow songwriter; and it's much appreciated :mrgreen:

A video description of Songkran
http://songkran.tourismthailand.org/

that's what really happens in Thailand.
Yes :mrgreen:
There's a distinct lack of aquatic imagery - it does tend to stick out a little,
Here is where knowing about the festival helps a bit to see the water theme.

This picture shows an idea of what happens. Friends pile in the back of pick up trucks with big barrel drums filled with water and then go out on the streets or sit in traffic jams having water fights.
.html

Here is the reference to talcum powder:
Images of talcum powder in use during Songkran
http://www.google.co.th/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=896&bih=603&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=songkran+talcum+powder&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
BUT - how the hell are you going to follow this one?
:lol: One song at a time, Vic, one song at a time :wink:

Thanks for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote