Clear all

Y9W49 Three Stories

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

He must have been sitting there with a radar gun just after a blind turn off the 2 freeway.
I was already late for Thanksgiving Dinner. But Mom never made the traditional turkey dinner. It was always canned ham with pineapples, a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket and her home-made applesauce topped with Red Hots.

I was working on my excuses to my parents about having to help Everett finish moving because it was his only day off work from the security guard company we both worked for: All Star Security Guard Service & Patrol. I had only worked for the company as a security guard for a summer job, but for Everett, it was a life-line for him and his father. What a life; working full time for minimum wage. Not that security work was like brain surgery. Still, I pitied my Thanksgiving alibi.

The truth was I spent the day over at Sandy's, but my family thought we had broken up and they were so pleased with the fact, that I couldn't tell them we were just on a break. See how much I had on my mind when I saw those flashing lights go off?!?! I freaked out a bit. “What's the problem, officer?” He checked my license and registration. “Do you know how fast you were going?” he asked with a heavy Spanish accent. “I was going 35mph, officer.” “No you were going 52mph in a 30mph zone. I could swear I wasn't going over 35, officer, but sometimes the speedometer sticks. As soon as I get my next pay check, I'm getting the speedometer fixed on this hand-me-down Chevy from my uncle.”

Let me back up a block and come around again right at 30 and you can tell me how fast I was really going. Come on. It's Thanksgiving. Give me a break.” “Ok” Officer Hernadez agreed. So I back up down the street with my hazard lights on. The I waved at Hernadez and gave a thumbs-up sign. I started out fine and then floored it as I flew past him. As I checked my rear view mirror, he was just standing there outside his car laughing.

I guess I did have a turkey for Thanksgiving after all.

Band members shouldn't date each other. When the relationship goes wrong, the band is over. I was the last to be told and it came as quite a blow. The lights were flashing. I was totally blind-sided by the news.

To be fair there were only three of us in the band, so that was that. I was thinking how much time we had spent together playing our guitars and hanging out on the weekends. Getting together after school on weekdays and now it was all over. I was angry. I wanted to get away from there as fast as possible….maybe a little too fast. Wait a minute! Was that a police car I just passed? 50 in a 35 mph zone.

Slow down, slow down! Maybe he wasn't looking. Oh no! He pulled out and is driving down the street. Maybe it's for something else. I'll just pull down a side street. Oh no! He did, too! Lights flashing….this is it. I'm being pulled over. Genuinely scared, I take out my license. “Where are you coming from?” The officer asks casually. I was just coming from church. That should make a good impression as I started to pray. “The one up the street?” he asked as he pointed east. “Yes, sir!” I say loudly and clearly with a smile.

“I know a Roger Baker that goes there,” he pals up to me. Roger worked for the city of Burbank. “Yes. Yes. He works with the youth group at church. He's a great guy!” I nod enthusiastically. It's not what you know, it's who you know that counts. Right?.....Wrong…..

“Well you were speeding. Be more careful next time,” the officer warned in his worn out routine voice. My first ticket! From anger about the band, to fear of being pulled over, now to anger about a ticket…..emotions suck!

Later I saw Roger at church and told him what happened. He asked, “The police officer knew me and he still gave you a ticket?” I said, “You better check your list of “friends”. Maybe he gave me the ticket instead of a warning BECAUSE I said we were friends.”

I was late to my own prom. It wasn't a big deal that I didn't have a date to take. My friends and I weren't caught up in all the hype and traditions. We didn't take a lot of things seriously back then. Teachers were so legalistic and really seemed liked left-overs from the black and white tv generations.

If these teachers hate kids so much, why were they teaching? It probably something to do with pensions and being tenured, so what do you expect to happen when you get two groups of people a generation apart; mix in the to-die-for California weather. (them –the teachers who can't be fired) and us –the students that want to be anywhere else but in class. I'll tell you what you get. A lot of days of teachers “calling in sick” up to their allowed sick days, and a lot of students basically dropping in and out of school to “check messages” and find out what's going on outside of school.

So that's why this dinosaur of a fossil teacher threw me off my game so badly. I've seen plenty of power and authority abuse in my 4 years in high school, but Mr. B. was the icing on the cake. Everyone knows the time between the prom and graduation day is a floater time for seniors. We don't even have to show up the last days of school. That's the perk for being seniors, but here comes Mr. B to my house on the night of the prom telling me I wasted a total of 3 hours of his class time in American Government class during the semester.

He said I had to read the material from the text book for the whole time to make it up, or he would put incomplete on my transcripts; which would me no diploma and having to get my GED…..more tests to take and the hassle. Well I did my time and showed up late. Nothing really exciting actually happens at the prom. It's more like a pre-party meeting place PARTY-ON!!!

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's quick work, man. Cool stories. I don't really know which one is which, but the first one has a lot more detail than the other two. I liked it the best of the three because it dragged me into the story.

WITHOUT GIVING IT AWAY...What did you think about writing the lie? Did you find yourself digging a little for specifics and color to make it work? I mean reality has it's own details, so do movies, lies...well the details are where you always get tripped up. I read somewhere that unimportant/irrelevant details are a detective's clue about when a suspect is lying. They give you detail that doesn't matter to make the story seem more real.

Looking at the the other two, is there any detail you think you might have left out?

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reads. First off, I am glad for this assignment, because it's a step closer to getting me to write "morning papers" or "object writing" which I still tend to be anti-motivated to do.....and I still can't figure out why, except that I don't really like writing stories....songs based on stories yes, but stories no. :roll:
What did you think about writing the lie? Did you find yourself digging a little for specifics and color to make it work? Not really, but I find the best lies have a bit of truth mixed in (one teenie sentence edited out by Nick :D )
Looking at the the other two, is there any detail you think you might have left out?
Well for better or for worse, I typed them all up at one sitting, so I would think maybe I just got a little eager to wrap things up, but interestingly, I did not write them in the order I have them posted.

I found the hardest one was the movie or book tie-in. Maybe I watch too much sci-fi or movies that stretch reality too much to be believable.

I might have another read through and pump up the vocabulary here and there at another sitting.

Thanks again for the read and setting up the assignments.

James

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi James, I think that one sentence might have provided a clue to which was which. The one about scenarios. Then again, maybe not. I edited it out anyway just to preserve the mystery :lol: .

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey James :D

Nice stories.... I enjoyed each one. Thankx for the read :D

My guesses are:
1st Story - Lie
2nd Story - Real
3rd Story - From movie/book.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the read. :D I think Nick doesn't want us to reveal which is which at this point. I guess we will have an unveiling at the end of the week or into next week..... :?

Nick,

How did you want this to play out? Post our guesses and reveal later?

James

ReplyQuote
(@chenz4)

I agree with ken, and I know what your book or movie story is from but I won't give it away. Nice work. Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the read and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Let's let everyone have their guess before revealing the truth on Saturday.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Hey James :D

Nice stories.... I enjoyed each one. Thankx for the read :D

My guesses are:
1st Story - Lie
2nd Story - Real
3rd Story - From movie/book.

Ken

That's my guess as well.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm going along with the consensus. All three are interesting stories though.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Let's let everyone have their guess before revealing the truth on Saturday.
Well looks like everyone that guessed got mine correct....Great job! :mrgreen:

I think my weakness in keeping it more a mystery was the other characters in the movie and lie did things that were too "out of character".....The policeman was from a joke I read a long time ago.....but it would be hard to believe the officer wouldn't just give a ticket or a warning..... And the teacher showing up on prom night is pretty beyond what teachers do....that was from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"....which Matt already knew :wink:

I think the better way would have been to focus on the internal dialog and make it less dependent on outside character actions....maybe focus more on their reactions to what the main character does or says.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Thanks for letting us know. I was not familiar with the movie. What I do know about cops eouldn't allow me to believe that story where the cop laughed. Maybe if you were early 20's female asnd blonde.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Maybe if you were early 20's female asnd blonde.
:lol:

ReplyQuote