Year 10 Week 10 Unfinished

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I must find some solid time for writing so maybe I can finish something.

Anyways this is as far as I got on this one. Maybe some comments will spark something

There's a painting on the wall
A memory of long ago
And pages from the past
Full of stories we use to know

There's a mirror on the wall
A map of my father's father's land
Heraldry and rhyme
Written in a child's hand

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

what is it a picture of?
how does it relate to the rest of the room?
What does the mirror look like?
I think you should start out descriptive see where it takes you. You may end up wih some sort of psychological profile of family history, or you may not, but I think the song should get ther naturally.
:note1: :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

John,
I'm with pearlthekat2, show the painting or what you see in the mirror and be more specific. The funny thing is the details are what trigger our own associations that allow us to relate. Also maybe describe one or more of the books, or your grandfathers land. Try using clustering to get the juices flowing. I like the start though.
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi John,

I like pearlthekat2's and Andy's comments/questions. What's coming across are some emotional family ties to physical objects in the room.....so there are a lot of places you can take the ideas/emotions....nostalgic, remorse, grateful, back in one's parents' place clearing out the house after they've departed...making a new home (single or with a significant other)...getting ready to pass on the heritage to the next generation......or the singer is the elder person being forced out of their home because the next generation feels they need assisted living.

....So all the items mentioned in the room can be symbols of the singer's frame of mind....ie snowy picture- cold, lonely....summer picture- hopeful embracing life....In a sense we all do this most of the time.....we project our feelings/moods on to our surroundings......ie Disneyland -for a kid the happy place on earth, fun rides....for the parent -hot, expensive long lines......

....in all, I see the challenge with "Noun" assignments is you have to put some action verbs into it to get something going; either internally or externally for the singer....it's not enough to just describe the objects, do something with them or say what they do to/for you internally or externally.

BTW....Kudos to you posting :mrgreen: I think more people should follow your example and just post and get some ideas and feedback from others willing to share.

:idea: It reminds me of an idea I had where what if there was a "brainstorming post" for each assignment?....like a collaborative "bin" of ideas that anyone that wanted to could contribute to or draw from for their song assignment for the week.

Just some thoughts :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks All

The odd part is I thought I was being descriptive. The painting was a wedding gift so that is the memory.
The mirror has the map of Ireland etched on it and the rhyme is a poem written by my daughter.
Most of the objects in the room were gifts save the guitars and even some of those.

I'll be moving on to this week now but hope to revisit this one in the future.

James, I really like your brainstorming idea.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I'll be moving on to this week now but hope to revisit this one in the future.
John

Wel,l since this week is only a chord progression, you'll still need lyrical content from somewhere, so you could combine week 10 and 11. :wink:

ReplyQuote