Clear all

Year 10 Week 12 Never Let You Go

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, this is jumping the gun on the assignment...but...
I can't write lyrics for ka ka, It's been a huge frustration.
This week 12 'hopper' of musical ideas was fantastic! Everyone's contributions gave me great jumping off points. So thank you all.
Celt's is the one that really stuck. It has a jazzy flavour, ...I imagined real fast word play, kind of Dan Hicks like...couldn't pull that off...so then I remembered how much I like Darktown Strutter's Ball. The simplicity and the yearning...
What's left has nothing of Celt's great meter or melody, but thanks to John I managed to write my first (partial) lyric:

I'm going to be there with bells on, baby,
I'm going to be there from the git go,
I'll be there when the doors start to open
And I'll never ever let you go

We'll dance and sing as the moon carves its mark
We'll still be there when the light steals the dark
There's only you in this whole wide world
And I'll never ever let you go

Any and all feedback welcome. :)

Don

(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Don,
Kudos for running with inspiration! Actually I could "hear" the melody and rhythm of Celt's track first and third passages with the lyric you wrote (maybe) as a chorus 1 and 2. Maybe write longhand imagining to set the scene, like where is "there", what's around you and her (colors, smells, sounds), what do you see/hear/feel when the doors start to open, write whatever pops in your head. If this is based on a specific memory (yours or one you saw), go with that. Write down whatever pops in your head, don't judge it at first, work thru that later. There may be some verse material there. When ready to add to your song don't let getting hung up on a rhyme (my own personal trap) get in the way of telling the story. Just my two cents, I hope it helps :)
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Glad to be of service.

The last year or so I've been fairly weak on writing
so it feels good that I can be a inspiration.

I like your lyrics.

They could work with the chord progression.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Andy, that's all great advice.
No question I'm lacking in any detail or sense of place.
I was just happy to come up with something, no matter how crude, that didn't feel inhibited. It felt like I'd gotten over a big hurdle. Now to get much much better at it. :lol:

Don

ReplyQuote