Clear all

Another D'oh

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

I forgot to mention in the newsletter that the call for reviewers is for unpaid work. There's been a pretty strong response so far, but lots of names I don't recognize. Quite a few people are intersted in part time work. I'm guessing anyone who's been around for a couple years knows how we work. Now I know I should have specified this in the newsletter.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 01/11/2005 10:54 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Let me know when you start paying people for content, I'll become prolific.

Posted : 01/11/2005 11:34 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

I've heard that one before. :)

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 02/11/2005 12:16 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

speaking of, do you want me to help moderate the wiki?

Nils might be a good candidate for Wiki Moderator number 3.

Posted : 02/11/2005 12:21 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

Do you have the time? I can give you admin privileges and you can do what you have time for. Eventually all the FAQs will be redirected there. It's my latest step towards making the site editor friendly. Why should I be the only one who can go back and update content?

The wiki's already been hit by automated spammers a few times. I am looking at ways to hit them back. As long as people keep discussions on the forums and wiki content objective it should work with only a little moderating. Perhaps it needs more steering than anything else.

I don't have a plan of where it is going to go. I'm interested in watching it grow organically into whatever it is going to be.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 02/11/2005 12:29 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I was actually only thinking of the spammers and banning them. Anything else is user editable, right?

Posted : 02/11/2005 12:34 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

We have some pages that are protected. Don't want just anyone changing the main page or something that could be seen as a policy (cd/article submission/advertising rates etc.). I think we need a few admins to discuss and update rules and regulations as things evolve.

Anyway can undo the spammers. The problem is their misdeeds are still in the page history. But yes, banning their ip is good (as long as it doesn't ban too many others (please don't block all of china even though most spam originates here!)). I should just make you an admin and you use as you see fit.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 02/11/2005 1:04 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That works for me.

I haven't banned China yet. All of Russia yes, and Romania and a large portion of Uzbekiztan, but not China.

Well of course the Forbidden City is forbidden, but that's it.

Posted : 02/11/2005 1:18 am