15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Hi folk.

It's a song about Rush Limbaugh:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43857

And it actually took Mr. Ken Rogers a day or so before chiming in. I edited his reply and sent him the following PM:
Hi Ken

Just letting you know I cut out some of your post because there's a fine line between song criticism and social / political commentary. It would be easy for anyone to believe that you're not really offering more verses as you are putting your own views down. So, and purely with the objective of not having others follow suit, I've taken out the "additional verses." You can feel free to write and post your own song if you'd like, or to PM 333maxwell and have a discussion on your varying views.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Peace

David

Hoping this doesn't turn into anyting silly.

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2009 6:05 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

too late

Posted : 21/03/2009 9:20 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Dare I ask? I see that Ken deleted his edited post...

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2009 10:27 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

He sent me something saying delete his account. I asked him why. I'll see if I can calm him down.

I'm getting too old for this.

Posted : 21/03/2009 10:44 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

No, he's too old to be acting like this.

Want me to talk with him?

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2009 10:50 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Nah, I sent him a kiss-a$$ please don't leave me email from my cut and paste guitarnoise handy dandy template collection

Posted : 21/03/2009 10:56 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Sorry to put you in the middle of this, Nick. There are better ways to be spending a Saturday night. We're vacuuming the entire house up here if you want to come. :wink:

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2009 11:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I PM'd Ken, too and got 2 replies from him...
Thanks for the e-mail, EB
I'll be around . . .
just trying to play by the rules and I got sideswiped on a technicality . . .
and frankly I didn't appreciate it.

But I'll cut back the time I spend here though.
My wife wants me to get back to my writing . . . and I really should.

Thanks for the thought,

KR2

and
Oh, I didn't see your email because my PM box was full.
I just got the notification on my AOL account that you had written.
But I think I answered you . . .
I do appreciate the kind thought . . . it's nice to know I wasn't ignored

I'll see you on the boards,

Ken

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/03/2009 6:43 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Thanks for the update, Leslie. I'm sorry Ken feels like I "sideswiped" him, but what can one do?

Peace

Posted : 22/03/2009 6:50 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You can't do a darn thing! :D People are people and they're always going to be a little bit odd! Personally, I never would have thought that he would react that way. But, then, what do I know? :roll:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/03/2009 7:34 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ken's actually quite intelligent - more so than he lets on. He does have his little foibles, though - and one of them is, he can't resist the urge to tinker with people's lyrics - seems as though he's not happy until the song's the way HE'd have written it. I'm used to it by now, but sometimes I feel like saying "alright, I only wanted to know if it sounds OK - I didn't want a full-scale rewrite!" Reading between the lines, that seems to be what happened here - I didn't see his post/critque.

He's writing a novel - done about a dozen chapters so far. He sent me a link to it, and I must say that so far I've really enjoyed it - kind of a Tolkienesque fantasy. Quite an original story, of its type, but what impressed me the most was it needed very little correction of grammar and spelling etc. I think that's what he means about his wife wanting him to get back to writing - and I think that's where his true talent lies, although I reckon if he really put his mind to it he could come up with some good original songs.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/03/2009 11:10 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

He does enjoy playing the clown to the point of distraction. But for all his intelligence (and I agree that he is incredibly intelligent) he's also quite childish and can be incredibly inappropriate (much like Netzok and Jason on their bad days). His posts towards young women, for example, might have come straight out of Rahul's notebook. But Rahul, at least, has a cultural excuse.

Worse (again, much like Netzok and Jason on their really bad days), he'll post something in clear meant to be outrageous and then hide behind a smile and say, "Who, me?"

In this case, the "additional lyrics" were totally pro-Limbaugh were as 333Maxwell's song obviously isn't. There's a big difference between making a suggestion to improve a song and to creating your own agenda. And Ken is obviously more than intelligent enough to know what he was doing.

You should actually be proud of getting him to write his own material, Vic, at least when it comes to songs. I thought for the longest time he'd never get past "the writing through others' material" stage.

Peace

Posted : 23/03/2009 12:45 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In this case, the "additional lyrics" were totally pro-Limbaugh were as 333Maxwell's song obviously isn't. There's a big difference between making a suggestion to improve a song and to creating your own agenda. And Ken is obviously more than intelligent enough to know what he was doing.

Yep, that's what I meant about his re-writing lyrics.....obviously, I'm not familiar with Rush Limbaugh, different cultures and all that....but we're getting into politics here. I know what I believe - and I know, for instance, what Alan Green believes. We're pretty much poles apart, politically - but we can be civil, nay, friendly, and respect each others opinion, and agree to disagree. Sigh....if only it were so across the boards.....

I know if I met Alan, we'd probably argue about politics for about two minutes, agree to disagree before it got too heated, then probably talk about music, and find some common ground. Queen, for instance - once we started talking about Brian May, politics would be completely forgotten....Sigh....if only it were so across the boards....

Ah well we can hope, can't we!

You know, one of the things I've never thanked you good people for (apart from turning me into a better musician) is turning me from my rebel-without-a-clue phase....looking back through some of my old posts, I could be - well, no could-be about it - a stroppy, cantankerous, argumentative idiot at times. Idiot's not the best word, but it will at least get past the censor. I'd like to thank you all for your kindness and perseverance, and for helping me to finally grow up a bit.....better late than never, eh?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/03/2009 2:56 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I never noticed. :lol:

You're welcome.

P.S. Even at your stroppy, cantankerous, argumentative best, you were always a good 'un.

Posted : 23/03/2009 9:50 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure Ken will come around. I posted on the thread yesterday and probably did not set the best example :oops: It looks like the thread is drifting on down.I thought it was a pretty good folk tune, but I'm really surprised it hasn't caused a lot of problems.

Hey Vic, I'm about politically even with you but my brother-in -law is very right wing. We get together 2-3 times a month. The first two minutes we "talk" politics then the discussion goes to music, family and BBQ. You know....the important things in life :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 24/03/2009 2:40 pm