Changing the repost timing?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Paul,

Can we cut down the timer between posts? I only post 7 or 8 a day, but I edit many, many more. I wait an awful lot.

Also, the forum search tool is really missed. Any hope of seeing it back?

Alternatively, is there a way of just the moderators seeing it back?

I could create a usergroup. Could we assign search rights to just that group?

Heck if that worked, we could charge people to become members of the search group. You pay a nominal fee to cover bandwidth charges, maybe $12 per year, you get access to search all the forum posts. If you don't pay, you still get exactly what you are getting now.

$12 a year is a phenomenal bargain for the wealth of info contained in Noteboat's post, not to mention searching for Wes's tabs, and all the other stuff that is just sitting waiting to be discovered.

Nick

Posted : 02/03/2005 3:33 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

"Fee for search" - brilliant!

Posted : 02/03/2005 3:55 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thank you, thank you.....

Now that I think about it, if we are not going to have search, we might as well autoprune the forums down to only a month. Nobody is going to wade through a years worth of posts manually.

Posted : 02/03/2005 4:09 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

You can actually search by going to http://forums.guitarnoise.com/search.php The search works at the moment, I just don't have it available in the template.

I am still waiting for some help from PappaJohn to plug some security holes and fortify the forums a bit. He's offered to help but has been quite busy. Most likely we'll have to get by without his help.

I upgraded to the latest version this week. I think making the search available to everyone is easier than setting up a pay for search group. Although I do like the idea of having some paying subscribers to the forum. What other features or groups could be offered for $12 a year?

What are the priorities for the forums right now?

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 03/03/2005 12:01 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I changed the time limit between posts to 15 seconds. That should give you more time.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 03/03/2005 2:07 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Paul;

We've been telling everyone that the reason there is no Search function is because of the processing and bandwidth cost issues. So there is some logic to asking them to pay for it.

Other than that, I think the biggest request has been for space to upload music files (and avatars). This could also be on a fee basis.

I think that having some Premium services is a good way to get revenue without annoying those who don't want to pay for what they get now.

-Laz

Posted : 03/03/2005 2:24 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I agree.

I think since you can really charge for just about anything you want, why not search?

Posted : 03/03/2005 2:30 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I think we'd need to bring in a professional to set up and maintain forums where certain features such as search and avatars are only available to subscribers. The only way to get people to do good work (excluding everyone here, of course) is to pay them.

Having seperate forums for subscribers and non-subscrobers is easy. Having different features on one board is beyond my abilities. The point is to keep all the content in one place.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 04/03/2005 2:13 am