Clear all

composer forum?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@portia)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I noticed that there's a post in the composers forum asking if there are any plans to start things back up there - there are no replies and since I'm kinda curious myself, I figured I'd ask here so I could pass on the word.  

Also, on a totally unrelated subject, does anyone know if there's a way to get internet explorer not to let anything change my homepage or add things to my favorites without asking me - This happens to me on a fairly regular basis, and I usually haven't been anywhere online except here and yahoo, so I'm guessing some popup is doing it.  

:)Portia

Posted : 25/03/2004 10:11 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

download ad-aware.

Once you have a piece of hijacking spyware on your system it will keep hijacking until you remove it.

Posted : 25/03/2004 10:26 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I also run Norton Internet Security and NetNanny's Ad Free on my system.  I rarely see an ad.  I also like Netscape vers. 7.x because it does a great job of blocking pop-ups all on its own and it's free download.  I'm not sure what Nick and other savvy people think of those programs, but over the years as a naive end-user type I've been happy with them.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 25/03/2004 11:50 pm
(@portia)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

well, I tried ad aware - and it found a bunch of stuff and deleted it, but every time I get online, it comes back >:(  If you don't see me online for a while, it's because my computer is about to go through the window !!!

Posted : 26/03/2004 1:34 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have you tried going to the Internet options page and deleting all cookies and all cached temporary files?  It might mean having to reenter passwords on site and logging in again, but it might also get rid of some junk that's bugging you, no pun intended.

Get Norton.  It's good to have a firewall, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 26/03/2004 2:37 am
(@portia)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I've done all of that many times over.  I just talked to my brother and he said he recently had the same problem and was able to get rid of it with spybot, so I'll have to try that.  Thanks for all of the suggestions though.  

Posted : 26/03/2004 3:19 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Portia!

AdAware finds stuff, but doesn't block it.  Try SpyBot - it's also free, and it has a switch that allows you to lock your home page etc.  It's a little weird to use at first, but it's been great for me.

-Laz

Posted : 26/03/2004 3:21 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There is a new type of advertising/marketing that sneaks on to your system without you knowing it. Most of the time this new and infuriating marketing was piggybacked on software that you downloaded and installed or from a web page that you happened upon.

There are several measures to follow to keep this from happening. NEVER EVER install anything that is offered to you while surfing. Before installing anything read the EULA (End Users License Agreement). The best thing to do is be very skeptical of all software on the Internet you never heard of. For all you know it could contain a virus, trojan or scumware.

Make sure your Java VM is at least version 3805 to protect against a vulnerability that allows website operators to change your home page and several other vulnerabilities. This is the main way hijacking occurs via surfing the web via a web browser. Download Microsoft Java

Now for removing the problems, this is the software I use and it's Free software.

Spybot Search and Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer.

HijackThis, is a homepage hijackers detector and remover. Scroll down about halfway you'll see "Notice" and the download link. Download HiJackThis (v1.97.7)

Want to lock your home page to prevent it from being hijacked? Here are two registry keys for Windows users, that will lock or unlock your homepage. Don't worry they are safe. These are from Kent England (another fellow Microsoft MVP):
HomePagelock-unlock.zip

joe

Posted : 26/03/2004 5:34 am