Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Derekslide hoist by his own petard

31 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@alangreen)

See, this is what you get living in Europe. All this fun happened whilst I was in the land of nod.

Oh, well. What are we going to talk about now?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 14/08/2008 9:52 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry to hear it turned out this way -- mostly because you all tried so hard to help him but to no avail -- but it's clearly the right decision and we erred on the side of kindness. It's unfortunate that the internet seems to give some people license to behave badly.

In the meantime, I certainly won't miss the deluge of Derekposts!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 14/08/2008 10:04 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ooooooh a new verb

"Hey, are you even reading the answers to your question? Are you just dereksliding me?"

Posted : 14/08/2008 10:13 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

:lol:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 14/08/2008 12:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Here's a funny thing. KenRogers2 referred to him as "Darkslide - I googled "Derekslide" (I usually use the Yahoo search engine) and as well as the search results thrown up, it asked me did I mean "Darkslide"....ok, the results for that were about skateboarding, but still.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/08/2008 1:29 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And BTW, he's lurking - possibly with intent. I checked a message about an hour ago, which showed him as "anonymous, newbie" and online....checked it again, he's still here.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/08/2008 2:39 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I figured it wouldn't take long for him to start acting out again. Oh, well..... :roll:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 14/08/2008 4:42 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And BTW, he's lurking - possibly with intent. I checked a message about an hour ago, which showed him as "anonymous, newbie" and online....checked it again, he's still here.

Vic

5 hours later and he's still online......

Vic

Posted : 14/08/2008 6:32 pm
(@davidhodge)

Okay, I'm officially declaring August to be "BKTVDMM," otherwise known as "Be Kind To Very Dumb Moderators Month." How does one go about knowing this? That Derek is lurking as a guest, I mean...

Peace

Posted : 14/08/2008 7:03 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I'm officially declaring August to be "BKTVDMM," otherwise known as "Be Kind To Very Dumb Moderators Month." How does one go about knowing this? That Derek is lurking as a guest, I mean...

Peace

I got a PM from him re the "High Lander" (sic) thread.....I noticed when I checked it, that where his name, rating and post count used to be, it said anonymous and newbie, and in the corner was the blue flash with "online" on it....

And it's still there! Perhaps the board software recognises the IP address, or something?

Vic

Posted : 14/08/2008 7:48 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, go away for a few hours and WWIII breaks out. :D

Oh well, everybody tried to help Derek, but he was determined to do himself in. Reminds me of those Crosby, Stills, and Nash lyrics:

"and we never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do"

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 14/08/2008 7:58 pm
(@davidhodge)

I didn't know you could send PMs if you weren't a member. Maybe Nick can explain it, but that would seem to be a bit of a glitch in the system.

Ideas?

Peace

Posted : 14/08/2008 8:15 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, should have made it clearer - the PM in question was sent BEFORE he was booted off.

On the actual PM header it says:

the high lander thread?
This message was sent by a user no longer registered.
by Anonymous on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:56 pm

and he's STILL online! unless that's a glitch in the system?

Vic

EDIT - I just checked a couple of people who are online and have sent me PMs - dhodge and Kenrogers2 both show as online, and a couple of people who aren't online - no "online" bar next to their avatars.

Posted : 14/08/2008 8:36 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I carried on a pretty good series of PMs with him and the admins of BRB (who are sympathetic to his situation with the heart disability, feel he's "not quite right" and still want to cut him some slack), went around deleting most of his rude messages and the rude replies from others and pointed out the "Foe" button. I'm tired. I feel like I've been Derekslid. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 14/08/2008 10:39 pm
(@davidhodge)

Ric (and this is just out of curiosity more than anything else), how serious a disability are we talking here? At least, given what little we know? He says he can't work but (and I think someone on BRB was savvy enough to have mentioned this) he spends (according to him, anyway) hours at the computer and hours practicing. How is that different from many, many jobs in terms of tiring him out?

One would think that, if he had the ambition, he could actually make something of himself. Granted, it may not be the "something" people dream of, but it's better than putting on his Soundclick page that his occupation is that of a "Professional Bum" (his words, not mine).

More importantly, he seems to be truly lacking in social skills on even the most basic of levels. One wonders if that comes from simply not interacting with people on a one-on-one basis (in person and not via the Internet).

Medical condition notwithstanding, he has serious mental health issues to deal with. That one email he sent Roadkill over on BRB was insane. One can only imagine what he's going to be like next month when he leaves home and has his own apartment.

Oh well.

Peace

Posted : 14/08/2008 11:38 pm
Page 2 / 3