Clear all

Moved a Derekslide thread to EL....

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Moved this one..... https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41012&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a - I tried to finish it in a jocular manner, but there was still potential for it to go downhill faster than the Tour De France coming off the Pyrenees, IMO.

Twisted Lefty, in particular, seems to have a real bee in his bonnet about Derek.... and others are beginning to react the same way. Seems he's beginning to exhaust EVERYONE'S patience.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/08/2008 5:59 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He does have a way of doing that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/08/2008 6:05 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd been watching that thread, too, and was considering sending it to EL, also. It DID seem to go downhill rather quickly.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/08/2008 6:26 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm seriously thinking of putting that one back.

....I'm thinking out loud...Well not really out loud, but you know.

I'd rather alienate Derekslide than our longtime members. And he's right. Google the thing. Do some research. RTFM. Derek wants everything handed to him on a silver platter and when we do, he ignores it anyway. That's what really bugs people. We are here to share and help not to do research because somebody else is to lazy to google. I mean couldn't Derekslide put in the search terms? If he wants to be a member of the guitarnoise community, then he has to get along with the other members. If he can't, then he has to go. We can't protect him or he'll never adapt. If he never adapts he will end up driving all the other members away. If I take away their ability to vent, I'm afraid they won't come back.

The recording hardware post for example, I bet you he ignores all the advice and goes with his original idea anyway.

End of rant.

You did the right thing Vic, but I'm going to put it back because I have to give all the other users the same latitude that I do Derekslide.

Posted : 12/08/2008 8:31 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Fair 'nuff. I was in two minds.....the only thing that was bothering me, I could see maybe Twisted Lefty or perhaps someone else going a bit too far. I tried to cool the whole thing down, but I'd rather get a second opinion!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/08/2008 8:53 pm
(@davidhodge)

You did the right thing, Vic. Not to worry.

Nick, Derek must still be affecting you in a subconscious way as you ended up putting the thread back in "Games and Trivia." Bit of a Freudian slip there, no?

Also, just in general and not the case here, if you're moving a thread to Electric Ladyland that you know isn't going to get re-instated, don't leave a "shadow topic" when you move it.

Peace

Posted : 12/08/2008 8:57 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Right....uh, where was it originally?

And BTW Vic, I had no idea what to do with it until I finished typing.

Posted : 12/08/2008 9:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Right....uh, where was it originally?

And BTW Vic, I had no idea what to do with it until I finished typing.

It was in "Opinions and Polls," Nick. BTW, jwmartin pm'd me about this thread....this is what he wrote....
Vic,

I realize my last reply on this thread will probably get deleted because I probably overstepped the politeness bounds, but I had to say it. I apologize in advance if I cause you any extra work, I just couldn't control myself.

jeff

I did get back to him, told him I didn't think it was particularly excessive.....but it seems we have more than just one volcano about to erupt....

Vic

Posted : 12/08/2008 9:33 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think I moved it to the right place then. Who is this guy is a trivia question rather than an opinion or poll.

I agree, but as Shrek says "Better out than in".

Posted : 12/08/2008 9:38 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Did you see the thread where he was unable to find a .013" string on juststrings.com? And hinted strongly that I needed to find it for him? :roll:

Posted : 12/08/2008 10:19 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Did you see the thread where he was unable to find a .013" string on juststrings.com? And hinted strongly that I needed to find it for him? :roll:

That's basically it in a nutshell - he wants to play guitar, but he wants everyone else to do the hard work for him - the looking-up, whether it's a tab or a youtube link; the working out, whether it's a scale or a chord; and of course the undivided attention of everyone. I tried to hint that half the fun of learning guitar's working things out for yourself, but of course that never got through. I bet his old schoolteachers still have nightmares about him! I probably would myself, if I ever slept....

Vic

Posted : 13/08/2008 1:25 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That's basically it in a nutshell - he wants to play guitar, but he wants everyone else to do the hard work for him - the looking-up, whether it's a tab or a youtube link; the working out, whether it's a scale or a chord; and of course the undivided attention of everyone. I tried to hint that half the fun of learning guitar's working things out for yourself, but of course that never got through. I bet his old schoolteachers still have nightmares about him! I probably would myself, if I ever slept....

Vic
I'm trying a different tack. I'm answering his questions with as little actual content as possible, I'm trying to indirectly push him to do things for himself, like buy a reference book, print out the GN lessons and use them for reference, rather than perpetually reiterate the same questions, just phrased differently.
The comment about pride in achievement (whilst perfectly true), in the Highlander thread, was an indirect dig at Derek - hopefully indirect enough for him to take notice without realising that I was talking about him.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 13/08/2008 1:25 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's a good approach.

Posted : 13/08/2008 3:08 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't know, man, he doesn't get it when it's direct, I think he's immune to indirect suggestion.

Posted : 13/08/2008 4:49 pm