Clear all

Red Devil Jam?

27 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So how do you feel about posting this in the GN forum and seeing who shows up? I'll email Sarah the same question.

Go Gunners! Go City!

Posted : 09/05/2009 9:58 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So how do you feel about posting this in the GN forum and seeing who shows up? I'll email Sarah the same question.

Go Gunners! Go City!

Well why not? I did sort of mention it to a couple of people in passing....but hell, yeah, throw it open, the more the merrier...

Go gunners....go city!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/05/2009 11:46 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

I have a song for the Jam... "Viva Ronaldo" :wink:

Posted : 10/05/2009 1:57 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I have a song for the Jam... "Viva Ronaldo" :wink:

Ummm - how about "Dive, dive, dive" instead? Or perhaps Elvis Costello's "I can't stand up for falling down?"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/05/2009 2:57 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Fair enough. I was thinking of a variation on "You are My Sunshine". Goes something like:
"You are a Scouser,
An ugly Scouser,
You're only happy,
On Giro day,
Your dad's out stealing,
Your mum's drug dealing,
So please don't take my hubcaps away"

You know I love you, right Vic? :D

Posted : 10/05/2009 8:00 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL, but that one's really old.....

Anyway, to scousers, I'm a woolyback (there is a rather cruder version of that which I won't go into here...) - born-and-bred Lancastrian. Even though I was born in the same hospital as my two eldest daughters, and they were born in Cheshire (Cestrians, I think...) and the town I grew up in and still live in was in Lancashire but is now in Merseyside.

All those songs the Mancunians sing about Scousers can easily be turned the other way....at one time or another, I've lived and worked in both Liverpool and Manchester, and I know which I prefer. Nothing against Mancunians, mind - I just prefer Liverpudlians. When it comes to Football, Music and Comedy Liverpool wins hands down for me.

Nearly came to an unfortunate end in Manchester once....I was working there at the time, I'd been for a drink after work with my stepson - the day after Liverpool had won 1-0 at Old Trafford - and caught the bus back into town to get the train home. My mobile phone went off - the one that had a Liverpool FC case and played "You'll Never Walk Alone" as the ringtone. Not the most fortunate occurence when you're on a crowded bus full of Mancunians....

Anyway, looks like the title's going to United this year, unfortunately - they now need a win and a draw from their last three games, four points altogether. And two of those games are against Wigan - who've never beaten United - and Hull, who've won two of their last twenty-five games.

Sigh - there's always next year. Seems like we'll need a miracle....and unless Arsenal buck their ideas up a bit (I saw them play United in the Champions League, United won at a canter, and I saw them taken to pieces by Chelsea today) it'll all be over before Liverpool play again.

Vic

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:02 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

I did know you are Lancastrian; I think we'd talked about that when we visited last year. It's amazing how the town lines/districts form and reform. I suspect it's for the same reason as in the US; all to do with money.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Red Devils; it's never done til it's done. And stranger things have happened.

I love how you have such great football songs, whether they be for or against any given team. We don't have nearly that kind of spirit here, and not even for the almighty Super Bowl. You've got fantastic ditties, almost always clever, when they're not scatological (and many of those are quite funny), and we've got ..... commercials. Not quite the same is it?

BTW, I've rented a UK phone for our time. I don't know if Dan gave it to you but it's: 07894-072 809. Is your mobile the same? If you don't mind sharing the number again, I looked for it and couldn't find it my emails.

Cheers and see you next week!

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:45 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll make a note of that number; mine are....

Mobile - 07972 311 842 (Sara's got that number...)
Home - 01925 270183 (to be used only in the event of the imminent end of the world!)

Vic

Posted : 10/05/2009 11:05 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Many thanks. Dan and I were just working out a wicked segue from Angel from Montgomery into Somebody to Love. Show you next week!

Posted : 11/05/2009 1:39 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm.....weird.....

I didn't know "Angel From Montgomery" till I was introduced to it last year - it's one I play all the time now. However....I started fooling around a while back with unusual voicings, and I usually play AFM as....

E - 079900 (actually an E5 chord - there's only E and B notes!)
A9 - 077600 (Aadd9 I think?)
B - 099870 (which is actually Badd11 - I think - but sounds fine)
D9 - 005550 (which is actually Dadd9 - I think - but hell, close enough for rock'n'roll!)

I've gotten used to playing it this way - it sounds almost like I'm playing in an open tuning because of the open E strings. Sounds pretty good as a solo piece - whether it'd work that way in a band/jam I don't know. If it is, chalk up another triumph for David - he got me thinking that way!

Goes off to practise Someone To Love......

(Er, that is the Jefferson Airplane song, isn't it? Not the Queen song of the same name?)

Vic

Posted : 11/05/2009 4:25 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Yes, Airplane, Grace Slick and all that.

And you're correct on the voicings on AFM, although I play straight chords, E,A, B, D as I can't keep track of too much when I play and sing at the same time.

The wicked segue between is:
E--- A--- keep going until the guitarists have added the desired distortion, then
D--- G---
Em--- A--- and you're off!

Obviously a rhythm change betwee AFM and SBL, but that's best shown in person, which will be next weekend!

Cheers,
Laura

Posted : 11/05/2009 5:19 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey Vic, Sara was not able to find a good location, so it's either her place, your place, or our apartment. We don't mind coming to N-l-W or Liverpool, and you're welcome to come to Manchester. Can you call Sara and finalize a choice? After 3000 miles, another 50 isn't going to matter much to us.

Unless you find a public location, we won't make this open to others.

We are off to the airport in 5 hours, so you two decide what makes best sense and we'll go with it.

See you in a few days!

Posted : 13/05/2009 2:32 pm
Page 2 / 2