Clear all

three anti-spam tools

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just put these in place. I'll test more today. Let me know if you hear of any problems.

The first two are questions that must be completed on registration:

What is the missing number in this series? 3 6 x 12 15

What is the site about? dropdown box with the choices eggs and guitar

Also I've tried putting in place a queuing system for users with fewer than 15 posts. They need to be approved by an admin before they are seen by the public.

I hope it all doesn't go to hell in a handbasket

Posted : 30/05/2009 10:31 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi Nick,
These sound like pretty formidable defenses. I was cleaning up some shadow topics from the moderators' control panel window and saw one post that was pending approval. It looks like we will all need to log in to the control panel or the moderators' log every now and then to see if there are posts waiting to be approved. They show up in the moderation queue.
Thanks,
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 30/05/2009 1:09 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Thanks Nick.

All good ideas.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 30/05/2009 1:57 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I hate to jinx myself, but the last inactive user account is from right before I made these changes. We were averaging a new spammer account every 4 minutes. It's been eight hours and not one new spammer account. I know they'll get around it, but if this slows them down it will be very cool.

Posted : 30/05/2009 6:19 pm
(@davidhodge)

I've lit a candle at the "Altar of Mojo" for you, sir! Hopefully it will help.

Now take a break! As the folks from Athens say, "You've been on this shift too long..." :wink:

Peace

Posted : 30/05/2009 6:25 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Very cool, Nick!

Makes you wonder sometimes, the mentality of these spammers - they know they're not wanted, they know that even if they do get through no-one will take a blind bit of notice, they know that 99.9999% of people consider them a royal pain in the derriere - so why do they bother?

Arise Sir Nick the Vigilant(e?) - defender of the 'noise, keeper of the peace, scourge of the spammer, hammer of the guitatheist....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/05/2009 9:27 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very cool, Nick!

Makes you wonder sometimes, the mentality of these spammers - they know they're not wanted, they know that even if they do get through no-one will take a blind bit of notice, they know that 99.9999% of people consider them a royal pain in the derriere - so why do they bother?

Arise Sir Nick the Vigilant(e?) - defender of the 'noise, keeper of the peace, scourge of the spammer, hammer of the guitatheist....

Vic

Guitatheist? :?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/05/2009 10:25 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guitatheist?

Someone who doesn't believe in the power of the guitar to change the world for the better....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/05/2009 10:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Guitatheist?

Someone who doesn't believe in the power of the guitar to change the world for the better....

Vic

Aaahhh! 8)

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 31/05/2009 4:35 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I changed the post count for approval limit to 5. We should have them weeded out after 1 or 2

Posted : 04/06/2009 10:42 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I changed the post count for approval limit to 5. We should have them weeded out after 1 or 2

But we don't tell the general public, right...

Posted : 05/06/2009 12:50 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I just sent one to EL that I think may be a spammer trying to gain access..... http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28416&start=405

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 05/06/2009 4:02 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think we should, or I did already. It's only five posts and spammers will have given up after one. If we let people know it has nothing to do with approving their posts, only to make sure the new poster isn't spamming, they should be ok with it.

Posted : 05/06/2009 9:46 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Nick - I thought that new posts pending approval were hidden from the forum until they were actually approved. However, I just approved a newbie post, only to find that there was already a response posted an hour ago.

Did I misunderstand?

PS: great to see you this weekend.

Posted : 08/06/2009 7:43 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nick - would it be possible to let new members know that their first few posts have to be approved by a mod before they show up on the boards? Otherwise.....

newbie makes first post, asks question; post doesn't show up on forums. Strange, thinks newbie, I must have done something wrong - I'll try again. So newbie writes post out again, re-submits, it still doesn't show....maybe tries one last time, nothing happens, newbie gives up, goes away, finds another website.

Maybe you could include a short message on the registration form? Shouldn't be too much trouble, hopefully....

Vic

Posted : 08/06/2009 10:01 pm