Clear all

We're moving

35 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

It's gonna cause some disruption but I am tired of getting cheesed off. I am making plans to move GN to a new host.

This will interupt both the forums and @guitarnoise.com email to some extent.   Perhaps I'll have to shut the forums for 3 days or so. If you're using a GN email you might want to give it a rest for a while. I went through all this exacly one year ago and don't want to do it again.

There may be a way for somebody to help me.  Does anyone have a fast Internet connection, free time and know how to download and upload via ftp? I could use some help getting our files moved to a new server.

PS. This sucks.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 21/04/2004 5:46 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear you've got to take this step.  Unfortunately all I can offer is tea and sympathy.  The move worked very well the last time though; I hope it works as well this time.

Good luck!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 21/04/2004 5:50 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have a very fast connection and some time on my hands.

Posted : 21/04/2004 5:55 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

That's good news. Of course, what I'm asking is not a small favor. It's a big job.

Basically everything needs to be downloaded from the current server and uploaded to a new server.  Last year there were more than 10,000 files in the forums alone.  :o Who knows how many there are now? It took me three days last time but with a fast Internet connection it should be a piece of cake.

The switch could be as early as this week.  Feel free to go on a message deleting frenzy. I already saw your message on the opinions board. Nice one.  :D

I'll send some details later.  I should be sleeping now.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 21/04/2004 6:02 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Mr. Hodge,

Can you let me know when you get your old lyrics?  I'd like to delete the posts older than nine months before we move.

thank you sir,

Nick

Posted : 21/04/2004 6:12 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'll do whatever I can to help - I have a pretty fast connection and I know how to move stuff with ftp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 21/04/2004 6:27 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Nick or Graham;

When you do the download, it would be good to make an archival copy (burn it to CD) just in case.

I've got a fast connection, but little free time.  Let me know if I can be of service.

Nick - can you let everyone know when you clear out the deadwood.  A lot of people will lose points, and they'll want to know why.  Not that anyone should care about the points.  Even Deities don't get much respect.

Laz

PS: where are we going?

Posted : 21/04/2004 7:14 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

where are we going?

Anyone says "Nirvana".......................................  ;D

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 21/04/2004 7:38 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Wherever it is I hope it's a Cobain free zone.

Posted : 21/04/2004 7:41 pm
(@davidhodge)

Nick - I'll have that done before 10:00 PM (EST) this evening.

Dan - we've got everything on the site (except for the forums and a few (mostly Jamey's) articles already encoded into the "Portable Guitar Noise." Maybe Paul didn't plan it this way, but that should certainly help, no?

And I have a suggestion that just might make you bristle at first - why not not put up the "Opinions and Polls" page right off the bat?

Also - it might not hurt to put up a general notice about this...

Best of luck! If you need someone to listen while you blow off steam, I'm more than happy to lend an ear.

Peace

Posted : 21/04/2004 8:28 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Wherever it is I hope it's a Cobain free zone.

Unlikely, unless we forget to tell Tucker an Co. that we're moving  8) 8)

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 21/04/2004 8:40 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION

GuitarNoise is moving...Sorry for the inconvenience...

You don't need to change a thing, unless your sign on is Deadlock in which case the new URL is http://www.guitar.com

Posted : 21/04/2004 8:59 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

....or if you're pet, it's http://www.gossipnoise.com

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 21/04/2004 11:01 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I have 4 towers and a new laptop on a fast connection.  I don't know much about doing such an adventure, but I'll help if needed.  

How much space would it need?  They all have cdrw's.

[email protected]

Joe

Posted : 22/04/2004 2:42 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

We are going to be staying at the lovely Lunar Pages next. http://www.lunarpages.com/ They have a very good reputation.  

For now, I'll just get Nick's help with the transfer. We have to coordinate our efforts and two people should be able to get it done without much confusion.

Nick - When is the best time for you to help with the transfer? It's almost the weekend here already and I am guessing you have a life on weekends. The forum will have to be closed for 3 days, but I am hoping your downloading and uploading can be done in 1.

May I suggest the new domain http://www.guitarnoose.com for those we don't want to see again?

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 22/04/2004 4:17 am
Page 1 / 3