Looking for Acoustic guitar for er.... Full-figured woman

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@prblack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi

I figured that there may some other women out there who may have a problem finding a acoustic guitar that fits comfortably because they are fairly big on top. Has anyone got any suggestions for acoustics that I can look at.

:oops:
prblack

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If I'm not mistaken, Greybeard was working on a design but don't know how far he's taken it. (If memory serves me and at this age, ..........................ummm what was I saying?) :oops: :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I don't have that problem/blessing :lol: but I think I remember it being discussed at some point. Had to have been in 2006 for me to have seen it.

Hmmm, what term(s) to use for a site search??? :shock:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Bish, I only came up with a design for an electric:

There's also one for folks, with more of a keg than a 6-pack:

:lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I remember hearing somewhere that Ovation had endorsement from some women guitarists; I don't remember which artists and which guitars, but I'm thinking maybe the bowl shape of the back might have something to do with it. It doesn't have that edge like a normal guitar, which even for me starts to leave a mark after awhile.

Plus, Ovation has the 'super shallow' bowl guitars which may be even more comfortable.

You might check them out.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

don't know in particular but i like the 000 size guitars. you might look into that or even an 00 size. they're smaller than the standard size and more comfy, imho.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

PRB

I'm assuming you're talking about electric. The main thing is to steer clear of dreadnaught style guitars and to go with those that have more obliging body shapes. As Pearl mentions, "00" and "000" guitars are good. Basically anything that has more of a classical style shape (smaller (and rounder) lower bout and well defined "waist") should work. If you have no problem with the depth of a typical guitar (another issue in itself), you might also find the "jumbo" and "mini jumbo" shapes to be quite comformtable to play. I've a number of female students who use these sorts of guitars and they've no problems with them.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Y'all can laugh if you want to, but this is the God's honest truth! :D

When I play my acoustic dreadnaught style guitars, I wind up having to hold them differently, with it "resting" more to the right on my right leg, in order to "place" my right boob in the "waistline". Otherwise, with the boob not resting in the "waistline", but actually behind a solid piece of the body, I find that the guitar tends to "wobble" a bit, not to mention being a few more inches away from my body, which alters the way I have to hold my fretting hand, making some chords very awkward to play. But, with it just a bit more to the right to accomodate my boob, chording is a piece of cake.

OK ... y'all can laugh at this too......

I sometimes tend to get carried away when playing rhythm and my strums kind of get bigger ( which is not a good thing), but, when I play my acoustics holding them as described above, I immediately know when my strumming hand is getting carried away because I start hitting the boob that's resting in the "waistline" of the guitar, which is my signal to get better control of that hand!!

One more thing, though. If you play a dreadnaught standing up with a strap, it lessens the whole problem immensely.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:) Thanks Elektrablue.. I have a similar problem. It's actually easier for me to play my electric. But I'll look into a dreadnaught.

prblack

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Is it okay to look yet? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wonder if there's a guitar made for, um, "full waisted" men? :lol:

Oh yeah, Greybeard's #2 above!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member

I wouldn't get an ovation. A friend was 220 with double Ds, said it sucked trying to play it sitting, but standing was cool.

ReplyQuote