Skip to content
Anybody have a Taly...

Notifications
Clear all

Anybody have a Talyor Big Baby? Other recommendations?

21 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a good smaller acoustic to play around with and saw this at an out of town shop recently. The sales guy recommended it over some higher priced ones. It's really ugly, but it did sound very nice when he played it. Better than anything else he played on while I was there. The problem here is, I don't play guitar yet, so buying one is hard! I can't really try them out first.

My son's classical is too big for me and makes my whole body ache after about 10 minutes of holding it. I don't have short arms, but still seam to have trouble getting my arm over the guitar. I think it is because I long legged but short from the waist up. The Big Baby did seem more comfortable when I held it, (and I do want a steel string) but I'm not sure if it is small enough. I'm used to a mandolin, so all the guitars felt pretty HUGE to me. I don't want a toy or something so small it doesn't sound good, though. I'm going to try to go back and take another look at it this weekend, but it is really embarrassing for me because I can pretty much just sit there and hold it or ask the sales guy to play, since I don't play guitar. :oops: Anyway, I'd like another woman's views on this guitar, and any other recommendations you have, too. I can't afford anything more expensive than this, since I was not even supposed to be buying anything else for myself. I went in to pick up something for my son, LOL.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm interested in learning fingerstyle, so I'd want something that worked well for that. I'm sure I'll do some strumming too, though.

Melisa

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

try seeing what they have in an 000 size or 00 size guitar. i have an 000 size. it's smaller than a dreadnaught.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

try seeing what they have in an 000 size or 00 size guitar. i have an 000 size. it's smaller than a dreadnaught.

Which of those is the larger and which the smaller? I did try the Taylor Baby as well, but it seemed too small and didn't sound nearly as good as the Big Baby. I'm not sure what size the others I tried were.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

an 00 is smaller than an 000. what's nice about them is that they're thinner, too.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

an 00 is smaller than an 000. what's nice about them is that they're thinner, too.

Any specific one you'd recommend I try? It was kind of information overload. Much more variety than any of the local stores. I tried (well strummed a chord once or twice and then had the sales guy play it) an Ibanez and something else, Dean maybe. Something that was beautifully purple, anyway. They didn't even come close in sound to the Big Baby, though they were a bit thinner I think, so might be more comfortable. I'm really not sure just how they are supposed to feel or "fit". I just know that compared to my mandolin, they all feel huge and unwieldy, but compared to my son's they fit better and were lighter.

Melisa

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My son has what the store called a Concert-size Ibanez that is a very comfortable smaller size. I'm not at home but could give you the model number later if you're interested. It has a nice sound, although not as "big" sounding as some larger guitars. If I remember correctly, it was around $199 which is less than you were looking at spending.

One other thing you might consider is that using a strap can make a guitar a LOT more comfortable than trying to keep it under control without a strap. I had strap pins installed on my (full-size) acoustic and couldn't believe the difference. I immediately felt much more relaxed and could concentrate on playing instead of holding it.

It's one of the best tips I've gotten out of a guitar book, to use the strap every time you play, even when seated.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My son has what the store called a Concert-size Ibanez that is a very comfortable smaller size. I'm not at home but could give you the model number later if you're interested. It has a nice sound, although not as "big" sounding as some larger guitars. If I remember correctly, it was around $199 which is less than you were looking at spending.

One other thing you might consider is that using a strap can make a guitar a LOT more comfortable than trying to keep it under control without a strap. I had strap pins installed on my (full-size) acoustic and couldn't believe the difference. I immediately felt much more relaxed and could concentrate on playing instead of holding it.

It's one of the best tips I've gotten out of a guitar book, to use the strap every time you play, even when seated.

Margaret

Yes, I'd like the model number when you get a chance. I'm planning to try to get back there this Saturday.

I'll be sure to get a strap and try it, but I've never had much luck using the strap with my mandolin. I have very narrow sloping shoulders and no matter how I adjust it, the strap will not stay on my shoulder. I think if I had a strap pin at the heel so I didn't have to attach it way out at the head, it might work better for me. Can you get strap pins attached at the heel of the guitar? Actually, the Big Baby doesn't even have a heel at the base of the neck, but maybe it could be attached directly to the guitar body just behind the neck or something?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Martin's site has a pretty good overal body size/shape page. http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html

It shows the designs which most other manufacturers follow to a certain extent.

Me? I really dislike the typical dreadnought shape and size and prefer the smaller parlor type and 00 and 000 sizes. I don't know why the dreadnoughts even got so popular - maybe from the folk/western music that's so prevalent - but to me at least, they're really uncomfortable, even for someone my size. I've gotten used to them, but I prefer something else. And nowadays, with all the electronics and pickups and sensors available, the actual size of the body doesn't really matter that much - at least live.

I just saw a really cool Fullerton Parlor http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-Blackwood-Parlor-Acoustic-Guitar-i279634.music that I would get in a heartbeat if it was offered in lefty. Same with the Fender Parlor http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-GDP100-Parlor-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=511546&src ="3SOSWXXA" and the Johnson smaller body guitars.

All right handed though - I guess that saves me some money ;)

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Martin's site has a pretty good overal body size/shape page. http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html

Thanks for that link! I had tried looking up something like that myself, with no luck. In fact, I found out that you should NEVER type "size comparison" into Google, even if it is preceded by the word guitar. :shock:

I made a note of the Fender and Fullerton guitars and will see if the shop carries those and give them a try. I have a Fender mandolin that I'm very happy with, so I'd be comfortable with that brand, thought that particular one seems suspiciously inexpensive. Unless mandolins typically cost more than comparable quality guitars? I don't like Johnsons.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

mmdm wrote: I think if I had a strap pin at the heel so I didn't have to attach it way out at the head, it might work better for me. Can you get strap pins attached at the heel of the guitar?
Yes, you can install a strap pin at the heel (the heel is where the neck meets the body, right?), which is what I had done at the strings service dept. They put in both pins for about $15 per guitar.

I didn't like the tie-on strap up by the headstock. Didn't work well for me either.

I'll post the Ibanez model number tonight. It's a nice guitar.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My son's Ibanez steel string acoustic is an Ibanez Artwood AC10.

We got ours at a local store, but I found it online tonight at http://www.fredsmusic.com/ibanez.html with this brief description:

"Ibanez AC10 - Gloss Natural - Solid Spruce Top - Mahogany Back and Sides (List $342.84)"

But I'm sure we paid more like in the $199-$229 range for it.

[edit: this site http://www.guitar-gear.com/acoustic_guitars_155.php calls it a Grand Concert, as opposed to just plain Concert (scroll down that page to see it)]

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My son's Ibanez steel string acoustic is an Ibanez Artwood AC10.

I looked around online and found that this one has been discontinued, which is probably why you found it for less. I added it to my list though, because it has probably been replaced by something similar.

The size thing still has me confused. Would a concert or grand concert like this be smaller than a 15/16 dreadnought?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I think if I had a strap pin at the heel so I didn't have to attach it way out at the head, it might work better for me. Can you get strap pins attached at the heel of the guitar? Actually, the Big Baby doesn't even have a heel at the base of the neck, but maybe it could be attached directly to the guitar body just behind the neck or something?
I'm the same - I can't stand the strap attching to the head. My 12 string had only one pin, so I just took one off a junker electric I've got hanging around and put it into the heel of the 12er - two minute job (including finding the awl :roll:). I put it on the underside of the heel rather than in the center to save having to make a recess for it, and to hold the strap better. I can take piccies later if you like, so you can see what I mean.

The only problem is it's slightly unbalanced, but not so much it's a problem (I guess that's why it came setup for that kind of strap in the first place). I just have to slide the strap around my shoulders so that the neck is pointed at the ground if I'm going to let go - but I do that anyway so that I don't smash the headstock into things.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For an almost-parlor-sized guitar, you might want to look at the Seagull Grand.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CCG.htm

They get consistently strong reviews.

A little too small for me - I went with the Seagull Folk, which has the same size body as a classical guitar.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For an almost-parlor-sized guitar, you might want to look at the Seagull Grand.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CCG.htm

Thanks, I added it to my list. Sure wish I could get one of you to go with me to actually PLAY the things. :wink:

Melisa

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2