Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Why guitar?

73 Posts
50 Users
0 Likes
(@songbird543)

Wow thanks for that!!! They sound really interesting and look very attractive. You must impress people when you play it. Where are they originally from?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

EB, our friend White Wolf on the other board makes electric dulcimers. Check out his stuff: http://www.geocities.com/whitewolfofsc/index.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

http://www.dulcimer.org.uk/articles/article_history.htm

Here's a brief excerpt from the above link about the history of the dulcimer........
Origin - The origins of the dulcimer are lost in the mists of time. It was certainly a fully fledged and widespread instrument a thousand years ago in Arabia and Byzantium. Everything that goes to make a dulcimer was known at the time of the ancient Greeks. Carvings of similar instruments, played with small wooden beaters, go back to 1500BC.

Spread - The santur (the root name of the dulcimer thoughout the region from Greece to Kashmir) spread westwards across the whole of Europe and eastwards as far as Mongolia. From the fourteenth to eighteenth centuries, it was a well-known and much-loved instrument. At its peak, it was the subject of serious compositions, and its heavenly sound meant it was often depicted played by angels.

Decline - The dulcimer, a complete and versatile instrument, had no need to change. But the dulcimer combined with the harpsichord to produce an offspring that was to grow and succeed so well that both its parents nearly died. That offspring was the Piano.

Lifeline - The dulcimer was pushed out of elevated musical circles and now had to survive out on the streets, playing for weddings and dances, often in the hands of gypsies or buskers. Further east, in Arabia and India, where the piano did not penetrate, the santur continued as an esteemed classical instrument. Though the piano rapidly developed greater range, volume and status than the dulcimer, it totally lost one important advantage the dulcimer had (and still has), the advantage helped the dulcimer to survive in its own niche. The piano ceased to be portable.

Further Spread - As part of the spread of European trade and traders, the dulcimer family spread across the Atlantic to the U.S., Mexico and Canada; and eastwards by sea to S.E Asia and China.

Endangered - Over much of Western Europe, the dulcimer declined drastically. It totally disappeared from Scandinavia and France for example. In Eastern Europe, it survived intact, and the development by Schunda of the large concert cimbalom gave it a whole new lase of life. In Britain, the upheaval of industrialism disturbed the rural habitat of the dulcimer, though it did adapt and survive in a few cities such as London, Birmingham and Glasgow, as well as its rural stronghold, East Anglia.

Why Endangered - Because it was surviving in isolated areas, there was no expertise in dulcimer making; often a player had to make their own instrument or get the local carpenter to knock one up. These home-made specimens were often difficult or impossible to tune, and by the early 60's and 70's, the dulcimer was on the verge of extinction in Britain, most of Europe as well as the U.S.

Saviours - A handful of dedicated men grabbed hold of a very thin lifeline and pulled the dulcimer back from the brink. Tobi Reiser, Johann Fuchs and Karl-Heinz Schickhaus in Germany and Switzerland; in Britain, David Kettlewell. By promoting interest in the music, instruments again began to be built, and the captivating sound of the dulcimer again began to spread its magic.
And, Ricochet, I went to White Wolf's site and he's got some really interesting stuff! :D The one that caught my attention was the one in the lower left corner. The Chromatic Fretted Electric Cedar Dulcimer. I had to look twice at the frets before I realized what was different! Have you ever played a chromatically fretted dulcimer? Interesting! Thanks!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@annatheangry)

I see we have strayed a little from the topic....
Well, I had a dream, I kid you not, that told me to learn, 2 days later my friend Maggie taught me the basics and the riff from Seven Nation Army.

ReplyQuote
(@gorobei28)

My inspiration was when Dimebag Darrell was killed. Watching video footage of him playing and seeing how much he loved it and how fast his fingers could fly.....whew I knew then I wanted a guitar. So I waited until the tax return came and got my guitar. I was terrified of it at first haha. I found one book but it was for right handers and I had trouble learning to read notes, turning everything to reverse in my mind to apply it to my left handed guitar, and learn to place my fingers..it was so frustrating I put it down. But I still wanted to play. I was obsessed with watching the guitarists in every video I would come across....then I saw Tom Morello-the mad scientist of the guitar. It was then I decided I was going to learn one way or the other. I got books for left handed guitarists and delved in. I stopped around the beginning of this year due to some personal issues, but have recently picked my guitar back up and have a renewed love for it. Long story short Dimebag inspired me to buy the guitar, Tom Morello inspired me to play it!

*sorry so chatty, I tend to ramble*

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I don't have my guitar yet, but soon...my inspiration is Daniel Ash from Love and Rockets/Bauhaus/Tones on Tail. I've listened to this music for years, it's always sounded awesome but all of a sudden, it really, really, really sounded awesome and the guitar playing, particularly the acoustic, just stood out and made an impression...something went off in my head that I must learn to do this. Now I have this burning desire to learn to play...update at 11. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

I've played piano since I was little, but seeing all those youtube videos made me want to learn guitar. Especially the ones that look almost impossible to do. So that really got me interested. I only know of one guy who plays, and hes a newbie too. So we're kinda learning guitar together. Always good to have a buddy to play with.

ReplyQuote
(@anuradha)

I don't know exactly why I decided to play guitar, but one fine day I just decided that I had to do it.

I had a thing for the piano when I was small but didn't learn it because in India, piano is not normally the instrument of choice, my dad's a sitar player and he naturally wanted me to learn sitar. My mum suggested vocal lessons, but somehow I ended up never receiving any formal training in music.

Now, at the age of 14, I convinced my parents to buy me a guitar and now I'm fiddling around with it...I suck but I've been playing for just 2 days...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I would LOVE to learn to play the sitar, Anurahda! But, I can understand you wanting something different! The guitar is a wonderful instrument and I'm sure that it will give you years and years of pleasure! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@anuradha)

In fact, Elecktrablue, I'm thinking of asking my dad to teach me sitar :D

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:D Think your dad would be interested in some really long distance sitar lessons? LOL! Just kidding! :? Well, maybe not kidding.... OK... just kidding! (Maybe! :roll: ) Of course, first I'd have to get a sitar!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@anuradha)

LOL :lol: I first have to ask him if he has the time to teach me

ReplyQuote
(@jmh1819)
Eminent Member

I always wanted to play a real instrument, but my high school didn't have a band and my parents didn't want to pay for private lessons. Now I'm graduated and have a real job and I was playing guitar hero(video game) and the guy I was playing with said "you've got a good sense of rythum you should play guitar", so here I am. I'm glad I started later though, because guitar is really expensive once you factor in lessons and guitar equipment. I've definately spent way more then I told my parents guitar playing would be.

ReplyQuote
(@musicfreak14)

Couldn't help repling to this one :)

It started when I was little and my mom used to sing "You Are My Sunshine" to me and my little sister and strum the guitar which sparked my intrest.

I started playing piano when I was 7, but my parents said I had to play for 4 years before picking up any other instrument.

Then my brother got a beautiful blue strat for his birthday, I was incredibly jealous. (Unfortunatly, even though he never learned it, he wouldn't let me touch it)

It sat forgotten in his bedroom for 3 years. :cry:

Until I decided to steal it :twisted:

I had recently been listening to Green Day, a lot. Which spured me into punk rock / rock / metal genres of music and I was detreminded to be able to play those songs like that, which I relized I'd need an electric guitar. I've loved it!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Good for both of you! :D Guitar is a wonderful outlet!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5