Skip to content
How many female gui...

Notifications
Clear all

How many female guitar players do you know?

36 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Another thread started me thinking, so now I am curious, out of all the guitar players that you know personally, (- not know of, not have heard about or read about or seen on tv-), approximately what percentage are female players?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

probably 25%, might be a bit higher than average.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

About half my students are female. Of people I gig with, about 5-10% of the guitarists, 10% of the bassists (both electric and upright), and about half, maybe more, of the vocalists.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

approximately 50/50 :P

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I only know one other girl who plays guitar. I never thought about it before but now I am surprised.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@portia)
Reputable Member

The only one I personally know is me (and that's just barely), but I don't know that many people who play the guitar - so it works out to about 25%.

:) Portia

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

50% actually.

4 of my friends that are guys play guitar, and 4 that are girls do too...

Ofcourse, 2 of those girls happen to be people ive just started teaching, but still, they count don't they...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@coatbutton)

I know 2 other girls (really, they're women) who play guitar. And I know 11 guys who play guitar. So approximately 21% of the guitar players I know are women. At least, I think so. I'm not very good with numbers.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Didn't even see this thread the first time out!

Current Students - taught forty students the past school year. Twenty-three females, seventeen males.

Group classes - usually more skewed female. I taught two classes this summer, one was 50 / 50 but the other was 70 / 30 (female to male).

People I know - is decidely more male, but slowly changing. I'd saw of all the guitarist I know personally, thirty to forty percent are female.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

At the guitar store where i take lessons i see a large percentage of girls taking lessons but most of them seem to be really young. I don't know any or ever see any older girls playing guitar, they all seem to be in their early teens.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In the couple years since I last weighed in on this, the percentage of female students has kept going up - it's at an all time high, about 55%.

My youngest (under 9) students are all male; my pre-teens are evenly split, my teens are about 60% male, and almost all - about 80% - of my adult students are now female.

In the adult category, that's a complete reversal of where it was just a few years ago. I've seen a slight drop in the pre-teen girls, but not very much.

The nature of adult students overall has changed too... it used to be that 90% of adult students were just starting out on an instrument; they'd simply "always wanted to play guitar". Now the brand-new musicians make up only about 10% of adults. The rest are divided - half have been playing guitar for a long time (10-20 years) and decided it's time they got serious about it. The other half played other instruments (piano, French horn, etc.), but really want to learn guitar.

Now what I'm reading into that is that girls in the 80s and 90s really wanted to play guitar - but they were discouraged from it. Some learned to strum a few chords, maybe play some folk tunes and Beatles songs, but if they wanted music lessons they had to learn a 'real' instrument. Now they're old enough to make their own decisions, and they're pursuing the guitar. And I'm betting they'll be encouraging their daughters too!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member

I actually know more female guitarists than male guitarists. I never really thought about it before but hardly any guys I know play guitar (ok, one or two, including my guitar teacher) but thats about it. However, alot of my friends (who are girls) play guitar really well. I'ts funny how that works out considering how few famous girl guitarists are out there as compared to guys.

ReplyQuote
(@manontheside)
Estimable Member

Mind introducing me to them, guitargeek? :P

:)
-man

"I wish there was an over the counter test for my loneliness"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well it has to be less than 20% for me sinec I only know two, my daughter and my girlfriend...and the embarassing thing is they are both way better than me...

Daughter - into acoustic, fingerpickin type music

Girlfriend - hardcore, heavy metal

Me - Adult hacker trying to play mostly classic rock whatever that is

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And I'm betting they'll be encouraging their daughters too!

Amen to that! :D Daughters, nieces, neighbors daughters...... :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3