Skip to content
An actual applicati...

Notifications
Clear all

An actual application of scales lesson...

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@norlo)
Topic starter

Okay, so there's so many lessons on scales and modes on the internet. They all explain the same things about intervals, the 4th being a passing tone, the 7th pulling to the root, etc. All that good theory stuff. But I never see a lesson that gives a jump start on applying them to chord changes and explaining harmonizing them with a progression other than "this is in Am, so use the minor pentatonic type of thing." It's good information but it misses out on following the changes instead of fighting them. I've seen and have experienced firsthand the irritation of knowing what key a song is in, knowing the right scale, but it still does not sound right. Well that's because I was never taught about harmonizing with a chord progression. I had to figure that out on my own. Take a Am, G, F, G progression, it's in Am. I'll use Am pentatonic. Well no one ever told me that over the G chord, I should focus on G chord notes. I figured it was in Am, anything I played in Am I was going to be okay. Simple stuff, seems obvious right? Well still i think it should be explained, in detail, to someone who is just learning how to solo/scales in general, before throwing modes and all sorts of other theory things at them. It doesn't have to be hard or complex.

For example here's what I used to do, take the chord progression Am, G, F, G.

Our basic pentatonic pattern:

e|---3--------6---
b|---3--------6---
g|---3------5-----
d|---3------5-----
a|---3------5-----
e|---3--------6---

and break it up over the progression so you learn where the chord tones are:

First time through target the roots:(playing nothing for F because F is not it the scale).
*note: these are meant to be looked at like a scale chart. I realized what I did after I finished it and I dont have the energy to retype it all.

A / / / G / / / / F / / / G / / / /
e|---3------------|----------------|------------|--------------|
b|----------------|------------6---|------------|----------6---|
g|----------------|----------------|------------|--------------|
d|----------5-----|---3------------|------------|---3----------|
a|----------------|----------------|------------|--------------|
e|---3------------|----------------|------------|--------------|

Then 3rds:(nothing for G no B note in scale)

e|----------------|----------------|---3----------|--------------|
b|----------------|----------------|--------------|--------------|
g|----3-----------|----------------|--------------|--------------|
d|----------------|----------------|----------5---|--------------|
a|----------------|----------------|--------------|--------------|
e|-----------6----|----------------|---3----------|--------------|

5ths:

e|----------------|----------------|---3----------|---------------|
b|----3-----------|----------------|--------------|---------------|
g|----------------|------------5---|--------------|-----------5---|
d|----------------|----------------|----------5---|---------------|
a|------------5---|---3------------|--------------|----3----------|
e|----------------|----------------|---6----------|---------------|

In essence it doesn't matter how you play it as long as your playing the right notes over the changes. Like I said this is very basic, the next step is to start connecting them in the ONE position to make phrases that follow the changes. Once that is accomplished the same thing can be done for other positions although it may not be necessary if the ear is developed enough to hear the chord notes.

IMO it accomplishes a few things.

1. Helps to recognize the names and positions of specific notes within the scale.
2. Recognize the notes used in chord construction.
3. Recognize common notes in different chords.
4. Basic understanding of chord/scale relationship.
5. Helps with phrasing, structure and melodic aspects of a solo/melody.
6. Helps with analyzing songs and figuring out melodies/solos, once the chord progression is identified.

I don't know... I think its more important to be able to make some sort of music with 1 position of a scale then it is to know all the scales and modes but not really know how to apply them. I think after someone has learned that, then they can understand leading notes, and other more advanced harmonic ideas a bit easier.

Posted : 02/06/2010 5:35 pm