Notifications
Clear all

45 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Most boards I frequent have a limit for physical avatar image dimensions. Here, it seems that anything goes...and there are just enough users with table-busting avatars to make it reeeeeeally annoying.

I may be in the (or perhaps *the*) minority here...but is there any possible hope of implementing and enforcing (the software will do this for you, actually, I run a phpBB board myself :) ) a limit on avatar size?

Not a huge issue, I'm guessing, since apparently noone else has complained in the last few months...but it bothers me, and I'm speaking out. :)

Posted : 22/10/2004 7:15 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No, we actually do have a limit. It's either 90 x 90 or 80 x 80, I think. I can't remember which. Nick would know. Is there an overblown avatar eating up the screen somewhere we should be aware of?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 22/10/2004 8:52 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The avatars seem fine. It's some of the sig images that are killing -- no limit there, right?

-G

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 22/10/2004 1:13 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

No, we also like the sig images to be limited to 80 by 80.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/10/2004 1:28 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

No, we also like the sig images to be limited to 80 by 80.

That may be the request, but that is not the limit. I just checked the properties on one sig image: about 150 x 370

-G

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 22/10/2004 4:35 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yep, sig images aren't limited.

Posted : 22/10/2004 4:49 pm
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Of course, today I can't find the thread I was looking at that spurred me to post about this. It was definitely an avatar though, and not a sig image - the sigs don't generally break the tables, they just look big. :)

It occurred to me this morning, though, that I've seen the same thing sporadically on other phpBB sites as well, and it may just be a function of the either the code not catching the avatar size when the page is generated, or the browser just choking on something. I've seen far, far stranger things happen with PHP and HTML/CSS.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and will let y'all know if I see it happen again. :)

Posted : 22/10/2004 5:07 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Think I've seen what you mean. Sometimes my browser will place the GN logo to the left of the forum frame instead of up on top. Happens in spurts.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 22/10/2004 5:57 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

good example of this (not that i care) would be geetar66

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 30/10/2004 1:41 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It occurred to me this morning, though, that I've seen the same thing sporadically on other phpBB sites as well, and it may just be a function of the either the code not catching the avatar size when the page is generated, or the browser just choking on something. I've seen far, far stranger things happen with PHP and HTML/CSS.

I've noticed that, on occasion, a page will look like it's "pushed" way over to the right, with blank white space on the left. It only happens once in a while and it's usually cleared up by the next time I go to that particular page. I had never associated it with image size, though. I always just figured that it was just a browser glitch.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/10/2004 2:40 pm
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Dredging this thread up from the past...

If you look here:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=14220

The user "Quill" has a rather large avatar pic that, at the time of this post, is displaying the same size in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Now I know I'm not hallucinating. 8)

Posted : 29/03/2005 7:03 pm
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

I think I might fall inot that eeeek category! :)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

Posted : 30/03/2005 2:05 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Anyone that wants to downsize or up size any graphics can download IrfanView for free. Image then resize is the option then do a save as.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 30/03/2005 2:37 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

In general, it would be good if folks would limit the size of images in both the avatar and the signature. There's also a signature photo around that is quite large and skews the images on the screen.

I tend to think people simply aren't aware that size does matter. If they do realize it, they'll shrink.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 30/03/2005 2:38 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

For some strange reason the 80x80 limit is being enforced by phpbb randomly. It is set for the avatar.

Posted : 30/03/2005 2:42 pm
Page 1 / 3