Childrens songs

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@inths)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello all,

I just posted in the guitar players forum about a book of childrens songs (I would put a link here if I knew how). This gave me an idea for possible lessons.
I've been trying to learn childrens songs from various books and websites (David, I know that you've done a podcast about Puff the magic dragon, and I will be having a bash at that at some point - I'm currently on podcast 5 so I've got a way to got yet)).

My idea is the following: would it be possible to take a traditional childrens song (i.e no copyright protection) and then twist it into different musical styles? You could have a blues version of "incy wincy spider", a ragtime version of "There's a hole in my bucket" or a heavy-metal version of "rock-aby baby". That last one might not be great for getting the kids to sleep !

I think it would be fun for the kids and for tbe guitarist to be able to play through a song the standard way once then twist it into a different style.

I'm only a learner, so I can't do this on my own. I need help from you guitar-gods.

Posted : 22/06/2010 6:46 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

David or Nick or someone else should advise you. I'm confident that you can take songs which are public domain and change their style or do what you have in mind. I have some knowledge of copyright protection, patents, and a little law, and stuff that has been passed on to me by an agent and lawyers, co-creators etc. in the past beginning 25-30 years ago.
It would be permissable, yes, but also really interesting! Performers are doing it already, around here. Good question. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 17/07/2010 12:40 pm