Clear all

Chord melody

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This is a special request to Dave and those who are knowledgeable on this subject.

Since "Silent Night" which I spent hours practising and playing on Christmas Eve to my (suffering) wife, and "Brahms Lullaby" which I play to my ever appreciative 9 month baby (she loves it) I have also found "Amazing Grace" somewhare else on the web, (can't remember the URL right now) I have been wanting like mad to learn this.

I even tried to transpose stuff myself from the web but still lack confidence in this (the chord filling not the transposition).

When are the new lessons coming out? Is there enough interest for a special forum for this beautiful way of playing the guitar?

Posted : 26/08/2004 10:51 am
(@davidhodge)

There is interest and I'm going to be taking some time to devote a few months worth of lessons on this topic. But, there's something going on in my (non Guitar Noise) life right now which is occupying a lot of time and I cannot say with any confidience how soon any of these lessons will be forthcoming. With luck and patience, probably by the middle of Setpember. First one will be Greensleeves in case you're interested!

Sorry that I can't do better than this and I promise to be less cryptic about all this once things settle down. Keep an eye on the newsletter for more details.

Peace

Posted : 26/08/2004 12:10 pm
(@jeremy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Dave,

Thanky look forward to the next lesson!

You don't have to tell us anything if its non GN related! I am sure it is your own business and we have no right to know! :)

Posted : 26/08/2004 1:07 pm
(@davidhodge)

Hey Jeremy

Just wanted to let you know that I lied about Greensleeves. Not intentionally, of course, Somehow, and I certainly didn't mean to do so, but I ended up doing Amazing Grace instead. It should go up online sometime in the next few days.

Hope you like it and now it's off to get started on the next one.

Peace

Posted : 06/10/2004 1:37 am
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Just as an aside, a friend of mine told me he heard a group do "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun". I thought it was a stretch, but when I tried it, it's a perfect fit! So,... until Dave's lesson for "Amazing Grace" is posted, you could always do the lesson for "House of the Rising Sun", and just substitute the lyrics. That same friend and I did the song in Church, and it went over pretty well.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

Posted : 07/10/2004 6:28 am
(@davidhodge)

One of my students does that Amazing Grace as House of the Rising Sun arrangements, too! It's funny, when I was (much) younger, many of the kids I knew used the music of House of the Rising Sun with the words of the Lord's Prayer ("Our Father, who art in heaven...") for the lyrics. Must be something in the air... :wink:

Peace

Posted : 07/10/2004 12:15 pm