Notifications
Clear all

Easy Songs - Index

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I could repeat this until I'm blue in the face and I don't think it would matter. The ESD was originally designed to be outside of Guitar Noise, in other words, a separate site. The original planner even put together a search engine based on the number (or names) of the chords you knew.
Could you show us/me the old code? I'm a PHP/MySQL developer so if it's done in that, and it's quite likely that it is, I could probably resurrect it. I put at least as much time into programming as I do guitar :) Sounds like Banre and Mike know their way around web programming too...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 20/10/2006 9:22 pm
(@davidhodge)

I couldn't - simply because I never had it. I don't even have the old URL.

I'm not sure that posting a sticky would do it, simply because (as we've seen) we can't even get people to post all their requests in the right thread!

I think that if we approach this in terms of a long term solution (as Greybeard says) and put both patience and thought into it, then we can come up with something. Simply saying "so and so" will do it doesn't get it done.

And, just putting this thought out there, at some point we might want to start using this way of thinking for the whole of Guitar Noise. Heaven forbid something should happen to Paul, but what would any of us be able to do if it did?

Some long range thinking as a whole community is definitely in order.

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do about resurrecting (or even figuring out where to begin to find) some of the original material...

Peace

Posted : 20/10/2006 10:02 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

April 22 2004
BTW, you gotta search the database, which is at:

http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

(soon to be moving, so keep watching here for news... also, I will have that page kindly redirect over.)

Mark :)

The link is no more and it doesn't redirect either..........

Posted : 20/10/2006 10:14 pm
(@davidhodge)

Thanks

It's a start...

Peace

Posted : 20/10/2006 10:16 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Does it have to be so complicated? Surely something along these lines would do....

A post headed "Index".....STICKY, of course.....

Then every song on the ESD in order of band name....Beatles, Creedence, Who etc....note, not "the" Beatles or "The" Who....

Possibly a second index in order of song title (again omitting "The", so for e.g House of the Rising Sun.....Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald.....etc

and with each Band/Title, a link to the URL which takes all of 2 seconds to cut and paste into the browser.....

The only downside to this is, the person who posted the index would have to keep it up-dated....but once it's in place, it would only have to be edited to fit new songs in.....

Just a thought......

I actually have such an index on my desktop, of all the songs I've posted and about another 20 or so favourites....it'd probably take a few hours to expand it, but if one of the mods would like me to do it......?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/10/2006 8:41 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Vic,
If you want to do it, post it with a freshness date. See how it goes. I don't see any reason not to see how well it works.

I used to try to index the Guitar Noise Lesson topics. It was a pain in the neck and there are far fewer posts there than in the ESD. I finally stopped doing it (largely because it was very tedious).

But it seems to me that if you keep your own copy of an index and want to share that with the rest of us by posting it as a thread, that's quite kind. When you update your list, you could post the updated list as well. The freshness date just lets everyone know how current any particular index is.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 21/10/2006 9:38 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I'd just like to say a big thanks for all the good folks that helped to sort out the ESD Index.

A lot of work went into sorting through all the threads. I didn't realise just how much really good stuff was hiding in there.

Great work and many thanks.

Thought I'd post it here rather than start an OT thread in the ESD or mess up another thread in there. It's all starting to look very tidy in there now.
:lol:

Cheers guys.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 30/10/2006 5:29 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Now that I think about it, Nick keeps thanking everyone for the help, I don't remember thanking Nick for starting it (the thread in the ESD) and putting all the pieces together.

Thanks Nick!!!

So, what do you think, Vic?

Posted : 30/10/2006 8:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yep. I think we should all thank Nick - he pulled the whole thing together, and got us all working on it....

So a big thanks to Nick!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/10/2006 10:30 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Once again thanks to you all and you are welcome.

Posted : 31/10/2006 12:28 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I also think we should give Vic a big thankyou for planting the seed.

So thank you Vic for getting the ball rolling. :D

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 05/11/2006 8:27 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've been noticing that once again the ESD is getting very messy. :( New songs are being posted, but the mod in charge of putting them in the ESD Index is not keeping up with it. Alot of work went in to cleaning & organizing the ESD, and it's a shame to see it not getting the attention it deserves. If Mike is too busy to keep up with it, can we find someone else who can give it the attention it deserves?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 01/09/2007 6:51 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I've been noticing that once again the ESD is getting very messy. :( New songs are being posted, but the mod in charge of putting them in the ESD Index is not keeping up with it. Alot of work went in to cleaning & organizing the ESD, and it's a shame to see it not getting the attention it deserves. If Mike is too busy to keep up with it, can we find someone else who can give it the attention it deserves?

Dan

+1

I was reviewing the index tonight, looking for new song to play and I thought the same...

Posted : 01/09/2007 1:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, it seems to me that a new mod is needed for the ESD. Mike hasn't been on GN as of late, (last posted on 6/18/07, and last updated the ESD Index on 6/20/07). Before that, he had let the index slide for awhile too. I remember trying to PM him and Nick about it, then after a couple weeks went buy, Mike came on & updated the index and then split again. :roll: I like Mike, but he's not around here enough anymore to keep up with the new postings.
I think the mod of the ESD should be someone who is on GN regular, has posted songs on the ESD, and genuinely cares about the ESD and the songs posted there.
Vic Lewis was the one who originally came up with the idea for the ESD Index, he cares about the songs, (just check out some of the songs he's posted to see the care & detail he puts into them), and he lives on GN almost every waking moment! :lol: Vic would get my vote! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/09/2007 2:38 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'll have it done this weekend. I can't believe how much the time has been flying! I didn't realize it was that long since the last update. I've been so busy with the family trips, family functions and everything else family and household related, plus I changed my hours at work which also equals less time here lately. The only time I can find to log in is when I'm at work. Speaking of, I have to go back now. :cry:

Sorry all, it's not intentional.

Posted : 06/09/2007 4:04 pm
Page 2 / 3