Clear all

Guitar Noise book???

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

First of I really love this site and all the lessons. I use the for guitar practice every day. I wonder if there exists or if there will be a book with the lessons? It would be great to have them in paper form so you don't have to sit in front of your computer to read them. :)

Posted : 01/05/2009 8:21 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There's not a book, per se, but our beloved David Hodge has already written the Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar and is in the process of having the Complete Idiot's Guide to Rock Guitar on the market, as well! It won't be these particular lessons, I'm sure, but, if David is writing it, you can darn well bet that it will be an excellent learning tool!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/05/2009 9:58 pm
(@alangreen)

There used to be a "Portable Guitar Noise" CD too. I wonder if there's any chance of an update...

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 02/05/2009 7:22 am
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Awesome! I'm very much looking forward to getting that book.

Posted : 03/05/2009 12:18 pm
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

I'd love to see a guitar lesson book developed specifically on the lessons presented here. Guitar Noise online is great… but I can't prop my computer up on my music stand and I'm more comfortable playing without having to peer over at the screen. A printed book would be wonderful and although I could print them out myself, I'd feel like I was “pirating” David, et. al's work. I'm always looking for a lesson book that presents lessons as well as GN does and none exist! The “Idiot's” books are good, but not for learning in a logical, practical progression like the lessons here.

Actually, the book is already written, the lessons are right here on Guitar Noise, they just need to be put together in one place. Most of the beginner song lessons are even numbered in a sequential order. Mixing in some theory like “Rosetta Stone” and “Theory without Tears” between every few song lessons would make a practical and complete music “course” that would be far superior to anything else on the market. It would be a valuable resource for any beginning or novice player and a potential revenue generator for GN.

I hope Paul, David and the rest of the contributors to GN will seriously consider this project. Maybe members could be polled to see how much interest exists.

David "Who" Else

Posted : 22/08/2009 2:53 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

A printed book would be wonderful and although I could print them out myself, I'd feel like I was “pirating” David, et. al's work. I'm always looking for a lesson book that presents lessons as well as GN does and none exist! The “Idiot's” books are good, but not for learning in a logical, practical progression like the lessons here.

David "Who" Else

The material here is indeed very good. But, as I've pointed out in your poll thread, from a publishing point of view the issue isn't whether you're 'pirating' the authors here, but whether you're pirating the owners of the copyrighted songs that are being studied. A book publisher would have to either pay for the rights to quote the music and lyrics, or else pay the cost of being sued for not doing so. It seems that they're not keen on either option. :wink:

Here's an answer from David himself, taken from another thread here:
Plus - and this is also very important (to me at least) - what about royalties to the songwriters / performers / publishers? We get away with not doing any of that here (and let's not mince words, we do and that has been something hanging on my own conscience for almost ten years now) but I'm not sure that it's going to be that easy to lie under the radar with a big video presence. I could be totally wrong about this and will be more than happy to be so, but it strikes me that most other teachers don't even give a thought about this. Except Workshop Live, who went and purchased rights from Warner Brothers for their catalogue. Workshop Live, by the way, had the benefit of getting close to a million dollars in government funds (local western Massachusetts government) to set up shop.

We're also trying to work out ways of putting together Guitar Noise books and DVDs, but we want to do this right so it's going to mean sinking money into good equipment as well as copyright fees. None of this is going to happen overnight. At least, not until I win the lottery and give up my private students. First, I don't play the lottery, so odds are absolutely nil.  But even if I did, I'd still keep my students first. My livelihood is teaching music, after all.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 25/08/2009 1:35 am