Notifications
Clear all

Guitarnoise Chatroom

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@duncan)
Topic starter

Hey, I think a chat would be really cool where people could swap ideas, information, and MP3s of their playing.  I think we have enough members that it would be fairly successful.  What do you guys think?  I know it was tried once in the past and that it didn't work out well but I think we should try it again only maybe this time on a popular irc server like dalnet or something.

Ever notice how people look at you funny when you're walking down the street and jiggling your fingers while going, "Naaar Naiiieer Naaaaeer Nira Neeeeear Neaur."?

Posted : 28/12/2003 7:21 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We have discussed this before, one member even set one up and it fell flat on it's face, unfortunately.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 28/12/2003 9:43 am
(@duncan)
Topic starter

yes but this time I think it might work because there are soooo many members.  At the time the other member tried it there weren't nearly as many people.  It would also help greatly to have an article about it on the front page perhaps with information on how to connect etc.

Ever notice how people look at you funny when you're walking down the street and jiggling your fingers while going, "Naaar Naiiieer Naaaaeer Nira Neeeeear Neaur."?

Posted : 28/12/2003 8:24 pm
(@alangreen)

IMHO - Chatrooms tend to get hijacked by the great unwashed, and the conversation would be off-topic before you could say controversial.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 29/12/2003 9:54 am
(@Anonymous)

I tried the chatroom yesterday and technically, at least, it worked well, even on my old problem-laden computer.  I read about it in the e-mail newsletter, but it was hard to find the link to it later when I was at the GN site.   (Now I've lost it again.)  I think if it was publicized more, it could catch on.  But as AG mentions, chatrooms do tend to get off topic.  If I try it again, I will be sure to include "happily married" on my chat profile!  

Don't the forums allow the opportunity to IM others who are also logged into the GN site?  Maybe I'll try it before I go hunt for my penguin feathers.  Happy musical trails! ::)

Posted : 13/01/2004 2:36 am
(@alterego)
Estimable Member

I feel a GN chatroom is absolutely necessary. Although we've been doing a good job via these forums, we all need to be more spontaneous and ready with our lyrics, songs, opinions and whatever else we do here. Moreover a simple voice chat like in Yahoo Messenger would be so helpful. We all can have our chance of performing live before GN audiences world over, and get criticised and/or appreciated immediately. you guys know what I'm talking about. So, GN gods, would you kindly do something about this?

http://poemasmuertos.blogspot.com/

Posted : 21/01/2004 6:29 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's already there.  Has been for almost a month now.

It isn't getting much use.

Take a look at the top post in this forum and many others.

Posted : 23/01/2004 1:13 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nick needs to visit chat room more offen!!!
I go there most nights to meet up with friends from GN site, there was at least 6 GN users in last night and there was a great flow of conversation going.

Pet

Posted : 23/01/2004 10:56 am
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

I agree with Pet.  I often go there at night and there is generally a small crowd.  And they are all good folks.

*Blows a kiss at Pet*

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Posted : 23/01/2004 6:00 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I also forgot to remind nick he was in there last night  - when 4/6 other people were in there making use of said chat room - plus we wanted to know what the story you nipped off to tell your boy was as you never came back?

Pet

*pet winks at marky and blows a kiss back*

Posted : 24/01/2004 3:24 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

And I said maybe Moby Dick!  Haha, i crack myself up.  Yeah.  

Im on nearly daily.  It works but i think it need to blink when some one says something.  Blink i mean the thing down on the start menu bar where the (the taskbar thing) program thing blinks.  Yeah.  Like with AIM.

aka Izabella

Posted : 24/01/2004 3:31 am
(@Anonymous)

I think the chatroom would really take off if there were a link to it on the GN homepage.  Maybe the chatroom hosting site would pay GN a fee for the privilege?  

Posted : 24/01/2004 10:50 pm