Clear all

Intermediate song database

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We've got that easy song database... but there are lots of cool tunes that use 9ths, m7b5s, dim chords, etc... I'd be happy to throw a few in if there's enough interest to make a new section.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 22/02/2005 12:51 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It might be easier just to call it the song database and label songs "easy, intermediate or advanced"......which is what Elecktrablue's working on at the moment, I think.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/02/2005 6:16 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, sirs, I sure am! And, I, personally think it wouldn't be too big a problem to separate into beginner, intermediate and advanced since I have to make all those other connections to number of chords, actual chords, flatpicked, fingerpicked, etc., etc., etc........ I've had a few people volunteer to help me and it might be a good thing for one of them to go through and decide which should be placed under which heading, i.e., beginner, intermediate, advanced. I've got some spreadsheets already done, and now that that darned wedding is over I'm going to have a lot more time on my hands to actually work on the database.

Or, on the other hand, we could separate them entirely and have a beginner database, an intermediate database and an advanced database. (Once the beginner database is done, it'll be a piece of cake to basically use it as a template for two more databases.

What do y'all think?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/02/2005 9:23 pm
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Or, on the other hand, we could separate them entirely and have a beginner database, an intermediate database and an advanced database.
No need for separate databases. It would be a simple matter of one additional field for 'skill level' to make the db flexible enough to handle all levels. There really would be nothing gained by multiple db's doing the same job. You can still start with the beginner's db and when that's finished add the records for the other skill levels. The script could be easily adapted to distinguish between skill levels.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

Posted : 23/02/2005 4:56 am
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

This all sounds great :D Many thanks to everyone putting time and effort into this.
One question though, how do you plan to determine what is: beginner, intermediate, or expert? It is a bit subjective.
I'd suggest that whatever criteria is used, that it be posted so that users can see what defines, say, a "beginner" song (such as: "no barre chords used", etc.) vs. an intermediate song.

I agree that one database is preferable to 3 separate ones.

Cheers,

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 23/02/2005 2:15 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Markyesme had been managing the song database. It was his baby. You might want to check with him to see what he thinks about modifying the database.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/02/2005 3:45 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I agree with both of you, PappaJohn and Laoch.... One database would be MUCH easier than three separate ones.... I'm getting busy right now!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/02/2005 3:47 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Markyesme had been managing the song database. It was his baby. You might want to check with him to see what he thinks about modifying the database.

Yes, but no one had heard from him since last April and after discussions with Nick and his many attempts to get hold of markyesme, he let me have it. It's now my baby!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 23/02/2005 3:49 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, but no one had heard from him since last April and after discussions with Nick and his many attempts to get hold of markyesme, he let me have it. It's now my baby!

8)
I guess I'm behind the times! I'm glad you've adopted it. It's a great feature.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/02/2005 6:33 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It REALLY is a great feature and I hope to make it even better! Now all I have to do is get everything gathered up, classified and spreadsheeted........ no small job, believe me, especially with new things being added daily in the forum! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 23/02/2005 8:30 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hi Elecktrablue,

Good to see your back on the case.

One question though! What will happen to all the useful replies to the initial song submisions, will all the actual original posts stay as is but just be indexed?

The reason I ask is that quite often the replies add intros, outros etc and different chord patterns for the songs that all help greatly and add to the community spirit.

I expect it would help you greatly too if any more offerings from us out here are submitted with more formalized subject song and artist titles ie we all do it the same way. Tell us what you would like to see.

A big thank you in advance for all the effort your putting in on this Elecktra.

Best regards,

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 24/02/2005 12:09 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hi Elecktrablue,

Good to see your back on the case.

One question though! What will happen to all the useful replies to the initial song submisions, will all the actual original posts stay as is but just be indexed?

The reason I ask is that quite often the replies add intros, outros etc and different chord patterns for the songs that all help greatly and add to the community spirit.

I expect it would help you greatly too if any more offerings from us out here are submitted with more formalized subject song and artist titles ie we all do it the same way. Tell us what you would like to see.

A big thank you in advance for all the effort your putting in on this Elecktra.

Best regards,

Chris.

Well, Chris, I'll tell you what I'm doing............ see if this answers your question or not.

I have started at the VERY LAST page (which I guess would actually have been the first page to begin with) to collect the songs that have been submitted, so, hopefully I'm going to have them all. On the database itself, I also intend to make everything searchable alphabetically and by song name. I also intend to add a "Submissions" area for the specific things you mentioned above, so that GN Members can submit their tab directly to the database. When someone comes up with a new or "better" intro, outro, entire version, which will then be posted in it's proper place, i.e., with the song it belongs to (there may very well be several versions of one song with differing intros, outros, etc....). I also want to add a "Suggestion" area, so that all of the GN Members can tell me what I'm doing wrong, right or indifferently. I want ALL of GN to have a hand in this. So, if I'm answering this correctly, technically, everything will be archived on the Database site itself.......... whether or not Nick or David want to delete the earlier submissions (once I've finished with them), to clear up space on the GN site itself, that would be up to them. I'll definitely let them know when I no longer need the pages. My plan is to have EVERYTHING ever submitted to the ESD forum accessable to GN Members. (And, I'm going to have it all backed up twice, for safety!)

Does that answer your question?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 24/02/2005 2:58 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hi Elecktrablue,

Many thanks for the explaination, you can't say fairer than that except that your plans for ESD are "BRILLIANT"

Best regards,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 24/02/2005 4:04 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I also agree with the concept of one database for all skill levels. That was kind of what I was thinking anyway when we were first kicking this around.

I was also thinking that a song could be in multiple skill levels. For ex. a song tabbed out with just 3 open chords might be a beginner but the same song with the real and/or more complex chords/picking could be at a higher level.

The difficulty will be deciding at what skill level a song fits since everyones opinion of what is hard or easy will be different. So, what I was thinking was that a song could start off at a skill level determined by the submitter and have a feature for the GN community to vote on skill level after they reviewed it or tried it and show for example 3 votes for beginner, 7 for intermediate and 6 for advanced which could be used for selecting a song.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 24/02/2005 5:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Just wondering what's become of all this? The ESD still looks the same, which is fine. Maybe we could just add an intermediate/advanced forum? Just think that would be cool.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/04/2005 11:29 am