Clear all

GREAT IDEA

23 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Put a chat system onto the site as well as the forums. you could have a great chat system every 1 could go on, with sub chat rooms all for differn't catagory's

Posted : 16/02/2005 12:38 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Been there, done that, nobody showed.

Actually, since we have such an international audience, most of us are not around at the same time. Plus, it's not cool to chat from work. You will notice that many people post their AIM or YIM links, so you can try to reach them that way.

Alternately, you can "host" your own by setting up a chatroom through AIM or MSN or others, and posting a specific invitation in the "News" section.

-Laz

Posted : 16/02/2005 12:38 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

or...

You can go to the guitarnoise chatroom that already exists...But apparently everyone has forgotten about except me...

http://pub30.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/2495623210

We need that more readily available I think. No one seems to know about it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 18/02/2005 2:51 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Another tab at the page header would be good so it would read,

Home/Lessons/Forums/chat/Store.

I didnt know it existed untill tonight and then only stumbled across this thread after browsing the forums.

I tried to connect to it but all I got was an error message, (better luck next time)

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 02/03/2005 9:49 pm
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Maybe, and this might be really stupid idea or one already used, you could post times and even topics of what you want to discuss in advance. It would also be great to know ahead of time when some of the "know-it-alls" (and I mean that in a good way) are going to be in the chatroom. That way, if you are having troubles you could really go in there and discuss your problem.

If anybody does decide to post a time for when they were going to be in the chatroom, you might want to include which time zone you are in.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

Posted : 03/03/2005 4:16 am
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what benefit does a chat room provide over what we already have? You can ask questions and get answers for any guitar related topic right here on these forums. You can also send private messages to some of the "know-it-alls" :wink:
Although it isn't done in "real time", I think these forums provide a better solution than a chat room that requires folks to be online simultaneously. I have nothing against a chat room if people want that but I guess I don't see the benefit.
Just my humble opinion....

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 03/03/2005 12:32 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what benefit does a chat room provide over what we already have? You can ask questions and get answers for any guitar related topic right here on these forums. You can also send private messages to some of the "know-it-alls" :wink:
Although it isn't done in "real time", I think these forums provide a better solution than a chat room that requires folks to be online simultaneously. I have nothing against a chat room if people want that but I guess I don't see the benefit.
Just my humble opinion....

And considering that some of the responses are LONG...

Posted : 03/03/2005 3:40 pm
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I think when you average it all out, you'll get better responses in a forum environment as opposed to a chat room. Because of geography or just life, not everybody is around at the same time. With the forums, people can come in at their convenience and still take part in the discussion.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

Posted : 03/03/2005 5:14 pm
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Agreed. I've seen several requests for a chat room over time and I know it was even tried once. I was wondering what I was missing when people are looking for a chat room here.

Posted : 03/03/2005 6:16 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Just to chit chat I guess? "Talk to eachother". We used to have some fun in the chatroom.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 13/03/2005 7:41 pm
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

That's okay. I'm not against a chat room nor was I implying that it was a bad idea. For me personally, the forums are preferred but to each his own...

Posted : 14/03/2005 2:36 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Some of us are Professional musicians that want to share your knowledge. I can't think of a better way than whats already here. Lots of valuable information is being posted on this messageboard. The learning is up to you. Chat rooms have a tendency to erode vary quickly making it harder on those wanting to learn.

Couple more thoughts. No need to go into detail their self explanatory.

1. Legal liability.

2. Moderating.

Joe

Posted : 15/03/2005 3:33 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i'm not a big fan of MSN messenger but i do have it on fairly often.
go ahead and add me as a contact

btw 500th post! woOt!!

#4491....

Posted : 11/12/2005 12:27 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm not a big fan of MSN messenger but i do have it on fairly often.
go ahead and add me as a contact

btw 500th post! woOt!!

TL congrats being a senior member from a BL player :wink: (BL => Born lefty :D )

Rahul

Posted : 11/12/2005 12:37 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think a chat room is good for drifting in and out of but may not be productive for "learning". Especially for the "learning" of the masses since the chat info goes away unlike the forum posts which are there for searching.

It would be difficult at best to schedule topics due to the international flavor of the forum which has already been pointed out as a timing problem. Besides, we do not have an official "know it all" list for GN unless Laoch wants to maintain one :lol: :lol:. Joking aside on that, the mods are probably that list so let me throw in a thank you to them for being there and being supportive of the forum and it's members. :D

For the record: I moderated a chat room for a little while and swore I would never again do that. Even with professionals the conversation deteriorates very quickly.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 11/12/2005 1:44 pm
Page 1 / 2