Clear all

jam tracks/collaberations

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

how about a section for jam tracks and collaberations :?: sort of between hear here and live jams i think. It might help this sort of thing take off. 8)

the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 08/02/2005 1:14 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

This forum definately needs something like that. I have been trying to talk the moderators into it but haven't gotten very lucky. Only one responded and said they would think about it and get back to me but never did.

Originally I thought it would be neat to have something like the sunday composers group come back but this time there is a new backing track every month submitted by a member of the forum. A place just to swap backings would also be a good idea. A place and method to run jams would also be a good idea.

I have been hanging in guitars101 and they have all of these things and it is really great.

Posted : 21/03/2005 1:41 am
(@davidhodge)

Instead of thinking "between Hear Here and Live Jams," why not take the initiative and incorporate one section or the other for this purpose? That would be far easier than creating a whole new place, it could even be reflected in the main page.

Just a thought. Probably not my best one, either! :wink:

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2005 3:45 am
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Instead of thinking "between Hear Here and Live Jams," why not take the initiative and incorporate one section or the other for this purpose? That would be far easier than creating a whole new place, it could even be reflected in the main page.

Just a thought. Probably not my best one, either! :wink:

Peace

The problem is that these things have been going on in both. Since the idea is not really topical for either but sort of fits in both it has turned into kind of a mess. At least it seems that way to me, I don't know about the others that were doing these things; though since I see messages here about it obviously I am not allone in my feelings.

The fact is that we HAVE taken the initiative and it has gotten rather confusing. I guess this is what happens when admins and moderators ignore their private messages...you should already know that we are trying these things since you are one of the ones I tried contacting directly...but whatever.

Mabye we are just trying to do something that guitarnoise is not going to be able to support, I don't know. The way things are currently this forum doesn't really make the whole collaboration thing that easy. It certainly is frustrating when you want to collaborate with other posters but nobody can decide where to discuss the issues because there is no real place for it set up...so you have to track multiple forums... I suppose that isn't obvious to someone not trying it.

First off it is hard to recruite new interest when the discussion is scattered across multiple forum areas. Second it is frustrating for those already involved. In my opinion we had the start of something cool that basically died out before it really got going at least in part because of a lack of a central location for discussion. I tried to get something done about it but nobody even responded to my messages.

Posted : 21/03/2005 4:45 am
(@davidhodge)

This is obviously something that you've been working on and thinking about for quite some time. And my apologies for not replying sooner as, unfortunately, I've been busy with other things.

How much of a mess are we talking about, really? And how much of an interest are we dealing with? I can see that you're not alone in your desire, but I can also see that I've gotten no calls from this from anyone besides yourself.

I am currently working on a collaboration with two other forum members and have done three collaborations in the past two years. All this required of me was to contact a person I was interested in working with and going on from there. Maybe that's old fashioned, but it does seem to work.

So you'll have to forgive me, but when you talk about not being able to discuss issues, or that the need for a separate forum isn't obvious to someone not trying it, I truly don't get it.

But I'm willing to try.

Please let me know exactly what, how and why this should be set up, as opposed to simply letting people work on them on their own. Are we simply talking about a "bulletin board" saying "Hi I'd like to collaborate or jam with someone?" or are we talking about creating a space where these collaborations and jams actually take place? If so, then we need to figure out where this would take place. On Guitar Noise or at a separate site? Currently we are using up our waveband at incredible rates. This is one of the reasons why the audio files for our lessons are being turned off from time to time. So if we're going to host something like this, then you need to help us figure out how to pay for it. If you're going to have this someplace else, then we need to know how to best direct traffic there.

It's not that this isn't a good idea. We need to figure out if it's something we can handle. Guitar Noise doesn't try to be the "WalMart" of guitar sites. We know we can't do and handle everything. Certainly not be staying a free site, anyway. So your input on this would be most helpful.

Looking forward to chatting with you. And again, my apologies for not responding sooner.

Peace

Posted : 21/03/2005 1:26 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

nr,

I think your success with your soon-to-be completed first collaboration will go a long way to making things happen.

When you have it finished, why don't you write a short description of the process, with a link to the various files, and we can turn it into an article, which would fit very nicely with our "Playing with Others" theme. PM me or David to set this up.

From there, we can figure out the proper place in the Forums and go forward.

-Laz

Posted : 21/03/2005 4:53 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Are we simply talking about a "bulletin board" saying "Hi I'd like to collaborate or jam with someone?"

Yes, that would certainly be a good start.

Posted : 21/03/2005 5:44 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't think hosting the files is something we could expect from GN, the costs would simply be too much. The easiest thing to do was not to add a new forum, but replace the 'live jams' with a board to set-up non-live jams. Maybe just call it the jam forum, both live and non-live. Seems the easiest and simplest way.

Posted : 21/03/2005 5:52 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah. Really all we need to do is make clear where these jams should take place. In Hear Here or Online Jams. Pick one of the two, move all the collabs into one forum, and there you go. No need for a new forum if you do it that way. Make it known that _____ will be the place for online collaberations.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 21/03/2005 8:04 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yeah. Really all we need to do is make clear where these jams should take place. In Hear Here or Online Jams. Pick one of the two, move all the collabs into one forum, and there you go. No need for a new forum if you do it that way. Make it known that _____ will be the place for online collaberations.

Is the current title and wording close enough?

-Laz

Posted : 22/03/2005 12:27 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think changing the title would be a good idea, The "live jams" forum has never been used for real time jaming any way as far as i can see.we might re-name it "World Wide Collaberations" Or "Playing with Others" or something like that. we can set up some guidlines for hosting and submition of jams (nroberts has a very good method that we use on Guitars 101) for group jams, and of course any one can do private collabarations useing any method they want to. Can't wait till the first jam is done!! :D 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 22/03/2005 5:52 am