Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Joe Thingyer rules!

26 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)

I know that this is late, but for what it's worth, I agree with Alan. Swearing or whatever has never seemd to be about freedom of speech as much as it is about not communicating well. It's not even a shock value. People say f**k like they say "you know" when talking.

Paul, you shouldn't think of yourself as promoting censorship as encouraging creativity.

Peace

Posted : 11/06/2003 1:36 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As an avid user of profanity I was surprised to find that I agree with keeping the censor. Since i spend most of my time here I forgot how ugly people can be on other guitar websites. Kinda makes me think how I sound when I use profanity as a pronoun, adjective, adverb, noun, present tense past tense etc. Not pretty. Anyway I was reasing a review for an effect pedal on another site and it was litterd with mindless drivel and I didn't know why it struck me as strange until this thread was started. Anyway I'm all for the occasional curse through frustration or anger but if it's too much trouble to adjust then keep it the same. Dang nabbit this doesn't sound very punk rock(sigh).

Posted : 11/06/2003 9:42 pm
(@knotwilg)
Eminent Member

I find the censored word list the most useless and the only disturbing thing on this site. My reasons:

- There are easy workarounds so if anyone really wants to use foul language, that's just what he'll do, and the admins will have to ban him anyway.

- We, proper and regular users, have to use these workarounds all the time, be vigilant for words which happen to contain a swear word, modify our posts, end up with ridiculous titles and texts mutilated with spaces or dots.

Bottom line, the censored word list only bothers the good people, not the hooligans.

Posted : 15/09/2003 3:09 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Leave it as it is.  I enjoy complaining about it and driving it to absurd limits in posts.   It's one of my favorite pasttimes.  Simple minds like mine are easily amused.  Don't deprive me of one really good  toy.  It's great how it makes things all cockamamie.  If you took it away, what would I bitch about?  And we'll keep an eye out for balderdash from less civil users.  Fiddlesticks, I say!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/09/2003 4:02 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've got over 700 posts behind me and have yet to feel the breath of the soap and water software on the back of my neck.
Don't get me wrong, I can f and blind it with the best of them - I just see no need when we're discussing guitars and music.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 15/09/2003 5:32 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My problem has always been talking about the Jagger/Richards composition "Bitch" on Sticky Fingers, Cream's recording "Spoonful", Lennon's jab at Nixon in "Gimme Some Truth" when he talks about "no mother hubbard son of Tricky Dick", etc. The censor shows up in some amusing places.  That's part of what makes this forum fun! It's kind of a like a rebus. But in the end, I'm glad for it because I never know when my little ones will join me at the computer and read what's on the screen.
Tim

-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/09/2003 5:36 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Can someone explain the "pregnant dog" thing? Because the word "Btich" (sic) is not a pregnant dog - it simply means the female of the species

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 15/09/2003 11:12 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I asked that very same question about 35 years ago on this forum.  I don't think there is an answer.  (Okay, I exaggerate a wee bit, it was only 32 years ago.)

And the canine reference isn't even off-color, nor is cock when referring to barnyard fowl.  Those Normans really messed things up in 1066 making all those good Saxon words into terms too vulgar to utter in polite company.

-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/09/2003 11:38 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Just my opinion. its more professional this way.

I like things just the way they are. If people want to post complete swear words, there are plenty of places that don't have filters. They can post them there.

If I invite someone to a site, I would rather not have them on their first question get a bad first impression. And think that theres no TPTB, which stands for The Powers That Be and means the people in charge.

joe

Posted : 17/09/2003 3:17 am
(@Anonymous)

As a matter of fact "thingyheads" is now my favorite expletive when driving.

God thats funny. I don't know why. Need... sleep. College(Pre Calc. in paticular).... sucks... hard.

Posted : 17/09/2003 6:04 am
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member

Hey! I'm flattered!  I thought this was going to be a thread about one of my favorite artists, Joe Thingyer. I clicked on it to find that of all the sleepers, thingys, pregnant dogs, etc., my post was the one selected to start off this discussion!

Now, onto the topic, I like the censorship.  I agree with Alan that if it can't be said cleanly, its probably drivel anyway.  On the other hand, when a censored word is necessary to the song, as it sometimes is, it can be worked around so everyone knows what is meant without too much trouble.  I am surprised at how few people use the "preview" option before posting.  

A spell checquer wood bee nyce, two.

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

Posted : 30/09/2003 3:24 am
Page 2 / 2