left hand side bar appearing on articles

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

It seems that articles (e.g. https://www.guitarnoise.com/topic/scales-and-modes/ now have a left-hand hoverbar with Facebook/Tweet/Google+ options. I can see it might be useful, but unfortunately it's quite large and floats over the vertical middle of the article which makes reading them a bit awkward and there doesn't seem to be a way to hide it. Is it meant to be like this? Using Firefox 7 in Fedora 15, but I suspect Firefox on any platform will have this problem.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but it's the closest I could find to a website issues forum.

Posted : 03/10/2011 9:50 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I noticed that last night also on my Ipod. I just assumed it was one of those strange Ipod querks though.

Paul B

Posted : 04/10/2011 8:26 am
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Bit more info: I've just tried it out in Firefox and Internet Explorer under Windows XP and it happens there too (for both). What seems to be going on is that there's a variable amount of padding/whitespace on the left hand side. If the browser window is not wide enough then this collapses and the hover bar overlaps with the article text, the broswer needs to be nearly full screen to avoid overlap. I guess the width is also the problem on the iPod.

Posted : 04/10/2011 10:45 am
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I was wondering if the mods have any input on this? Is this something added on your end? It appears in IE and Google Chrome.

Its very annoying.

Thanks

EDIT: OK, turns out this inst a problem on my work desktop. The hover-bar appears in the white space to the left. It just occurs on my laptop at home. I guess my laptop monitor and resolution isn't wide enough.

That being said does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

Posted : 16/10/2011 11:38 pm