Clear all

Lesson Board

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I'd like to see the Lesson Board carry threads for more lessons than are currently listed.  I think limiting new threads to those started by the moderators is fine, but since I imagine people are all over the board (no pun intended) when it comes to working on lessons, it would be nice to have a central location where one could ask questions and seek answers to challenges raised by whatever lesson they are working on at the time.

For example, I came across an explanation of the strumming pattern for "Losing My Religion" on one of the other boards that was really helpful, and I'm sure other examples are out there, but it is difficult to track them down.

Thanks,
Paul

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

Posted : 10/02/2004 5:31 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The whole point of the lesson board is to lead beginners through a path of specific lessons, this is why it is moderator led. It is not an open discussion forum, in the normal sense, but restricted to the lessons at hand.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 10/02/2004 9:14 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Slydog--
It is indeed something we should consider.  I think until now we've been building it slowly so that we could group questions and lessons rather than having many different threads per lesson going.  So we've got to sort through some of those issues.  It should be, I think, an indexed thread so that someone can zero in right away on a lesson without having to use a search function, or so that someone could check out issues on a lesson without having to go to several threads.
That's why we've been building slowly.  
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/02/2004 1:51 pm
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I understand the dilemma - wanting to keep it under control so that David and the moderators can lead the discussions (it's not like you all have nothing else to do).

Some ideas:

1)  I don't know if it's possible to program that particular board so that no one can start a thread unless they are authorized to do so.   That would prevent a free-for-all on the number of threads.

2)  Once that's done, begin a thread for each lesson, but mark some as "Moderator lead" and others as "Open discussion" to differentiate between those that will have expert assistance and those where it's more of a community thing.  Doing this would be predicated upon idea #1 being possible.

Of course, idea #2 would make it a challenge once you guys are ready to lead a discussion on one of the "open" topics.  Just some thoughts.

Please understand that I am not complaining at all.  I can't begin to describe how impressed I am with this entire site.  It's just that I'm fairly dysfunctional when it comes to following any kind of organized program (which drives my wife nuts).

Thanks for everything.

Posted : 10/02/2004 3:33 pm
(@davidhodge)

This is certainly something that could be done. And something that's been under consideration for a while now. We'll (meaning me) will have to figure out the logistics. It may mean having someone (again, probably me) simply map out a slew of topic titles and suggested topics to cover in a particular thread.

Let me think it out some more and then hopefully make the time to do so.

Peace

Posted : 10/02/2004 7:28 pm
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

David, please don't kill yourself trying to do it all.  You are far to valuable to us for that.  If it comes down to a choice between something along the lines of my suggestions or you continuing to do what you already do, I vote for the latter.

Posted : 10/02/2004 10:49 pm