Notifications
Clear all

Newsletter layout

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@doorboy)
Topic starter

I would like to see a little more variety of fonts, type size, etc. in the newsletter. I've been receiving the newsletter via e-mail for over two years now, and there has been some change, but not much. I used to look forward to it, but now, not so much. The reason for this is because I have a hard time telling the difference between an advertisement for another site or learning tool (book/dvd/etc) and an actual article on Guitar Noise in which I may be interested. I read about how to improve my technique, speed, accuracy, you name it, and I have a hard time figuring out if it's really a Guitar Noise article, or just someone else who wants my $24.95. I understand that Guitar Noise wouldn't exist without these advertisements, so go ahead and keep them in there, but PLEASE make them more obvious as advertisements. Thank you for letting my put in my two-cents' worth.

Posted : 02/01/2006 4:37 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Thanks for the comments. It's given me something to think about.

We used to have 2 versions of the newsletter: an html one and a text-only one. The html newsletter gave me a lot more freedom to do different things with the formatting. The problem was, I'd have to prepare two seperate newsletters every week, with essentially t of work both lists were merged into one. Since then I've been sending it as text only in the hope that everyone will get something readable. In the current newsletter format all the ads are grouped together and always appear just after the new lessons section. That should give you some idea where to start skipping ahead if you want to avoid the ads. I'll think more about switching back to an html newsletter, although that is more work for me when I was hoping for less.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 08/01/2006 2:33 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Present format works fine for me....it's easy enough to tell the difference between an ad, a sponsored link, and the main body of the newsletter....speaking from the viewpoint of someone who's built his life around the motto "less work more play!" I'd say stick with plain text....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/01/2006 4:36 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

The text layout is more work than you'd expect it to be. I'm just glad advertisers I willing to pay to run spots. I once travelled two days to get to a computer to send the newsletter. My recent motto has been "less work more money".

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:36 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I once travelled two days to get to a computer to send the newsletter.

Now that's dedication! :shock:
The current format is fine with me too. I can tell what is an ad, and what isn't. Less work, more play & $! :D 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:07 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i hang out so much on GN that almost all happenings are known..so newsletter isn't what i much look forward for.I get it ...good and if i don't then also good.

Posted : 09/01/2006 6:38 am