Posting on the EasySong Data Base

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Please help! Maybe it's on here somewhere but I haven't found it . . . I am a new poster on GN and have recently posted two songs on the EasySong database. I carefully typed out each song and they looked alright, but when I hit preview button, the Chords were all over the place. I painstakingly made the corrections on a trial-and -error basis by repeatedly hitting Preview. It eventually got the job done, but obviously, I am not doing this right. Are there instructions or a help button somehere? I am even having trouble with the bolding and underlining.

An instruction sticky at the top of the EasySong database would be helpful to us novice posters.

Sign me "Computer Illiterate!"

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

Posted : 07/06/2006 8:59 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Type the song into Windows Notepad and get all the bits lined up correctly ("bits" is a technical musical term that you may not have come across, yet :lol: ). Once you have the song complete and arranged how you want it, mark all the text (CTRL + a) and copy it.
Now go over to the Easy Songs Forum, select "New Post" and Paste the text into the text box. Use CTRL + a again to mark the text and then go to the "Code" option above the text box and click on it. You'll get a "code tag" ( {code} - should be square bracket, rather than curly) at the start of the text and one, with a slash, at the end ( {/code} - again should be square bracket). Anything that comes between the "code tags" will appear as fixed width fonts.
The reason that you're not getting the text lined up properly is that the forum uses variable width fonts as standard.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 07/06/2006 9:12 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

( {/code} - again should be square bracket).

square bracket = [ ]

:D

The main thing to remember is to be sure to hit the code button twice. Once before you paste your tab and once again after to close the tag. Same thing goes for Images, URLs, Lists and Quotes........... and Bold and Italic and Underline!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/06/2006 9:44 pm
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Greybeard & Elecktrablue! You have saved my sanity (at least for another week!) :D

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:15 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

EB, if you mark the text, you only have to click the button once. The software will put the opening AND closing tags around the marked text.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:38 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I guess I do it the hard way, then! LOL! :D The story of my life!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:42 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe someone should type out the instructions for using code tags and post it as "STICKY - Please read before posting songs" on the Easy Songs Forum?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/06/2006 4:11 pm