Skip to content
New Forum (?) for a...

Notifications
Clear all

New Forum (?) for acoustic arrangements of heavy songs...

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I posted something along these lines in this thread, but decided the idea should probably have its own thread here to discuss...

I, and a couple of others at least, get their performance kicks from taking a heavy song and arranging it for an acoustic. Think Layla - the comparison between the original and the unplugged version.

There's a lot to an effective rearrangement, and there's a lot of ways to approach each song. I thought it would make a nice compliment to the 'easy songs' forum to have a forum dedicated to doing this. It could cover posts of actual examples a la 'easy songs', requests for help on particular songs, the theory behind it all (finding a suitable key for full chords when the original is powerchords etc), and general showing off your finished arrangement.

Therapy?, IMHO, provide a good example of why this would be useful - I love their songs, but when they did MTV Unplugged they just picked up acoustic guitars and played the songs exactly the same - powerchords, solos that didn't 'work' acoustically and all. It's a real shame too, as I do an acoustic version of screamager, and it works fantastically if you just give it a little love. This would be a nice place to post this kind of thing without detracting from the purpose of 'easy songs'.

There's a couple of alternatives:
- One big ongoing thread (I'd guess it would probably be too cramped, but that's why I'm soliciting feedback)
- I'd be quite happy to run a dedicated website specifically for this purpose, but I'd hate to detract from GN, even if that's only a slight possibility.

Personally, I think the parallel forum is the best approach. I'd be happy to moderate it if that would help, but I'd not be offended if it wasn't required. I'd also be happy to kick it off with a few posts of my own - songs that I do and a couple on how I do it.

What say you all? (I've made this a poll for quick reference, but it's the discussion that's important)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 15/06/2006 11:00 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I like the idea of learning to make heavier songs sound good acoustically. Not sure if that is a dedicated forum thing or not. Would said songs fit appropriately in the "Easy Songs" forum?

I belong to several messageboards of various hobbies I am into and the one thing that irks me is when there are too many categories. That would be my only complaint personally. Other than that I think its a fantastic idea.

C&S, you sound pretty good at this sort of thing. Wouldnt it make for a great GN Lesson, not to replace what you are suggesting, but as an addition?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 15/06/2006 11:31 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I like the idea of learning to make heavier songs sound good acoustically. Not sure if that is a dedicated forum thing or not. Would said songs fit appropriately in the "Easy Songs" forum?

I belong to several messageboards of various hobbies I am into and the one thing that irks me is when there are too many categories. That would be my only complaint personally. Other than that I think its a fantastic idea.

Aye, I know where you're coming from. A dedicated forum is just my personal preference - Easy songs to me suggests no additional 'getting your head around' it sounding different to the original. I'll get my part of the info out there either way :)
C&S, you sound pretty good at this sort of thing. Wouldnt it make for a great GN Lesson, not to replace what you are suggesting, but as an addition?

Geoo
That's a good idea too (although I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it, I'm just too stubborn to stop until I stumble across something that works for me :))

I'll add that to my to-do list...

Posted : 15/06/2006 12:09 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It seems to me that this is a very specific area of interest. I tend to think that the forums work best when they address more general areas. For the most part, I think there are already several different forums and would hesitate to add another one. Frankly, I think I'd encourage you to proceed with your idea of posting your own website dedicated to those arrangements.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/06/2006 12:14 pm
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I second every word Musenfreund wrote.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

Posted : 15/06/2006 12:43 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Fair enough, I appreciate the feedback :)

Posted : 15/06/2006 1:47 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if you do post a website dedicated to this i will surely join up . :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 15/06/2006 2:20 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Me too.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 15/06/2006 10:07 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have to agree with Musenfreund and HBriem..........

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/06/2006 10:48 pm
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Me too.

Me three. i would like to see a thread like the "easy songs" dedicated to a specific genre. For me it wouldn't be too many topics and would help from sifting through numerous posts of song styles i didnt care for.

my two cents..

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Posted : 16/06/2006 12:52 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

i would like to see a thread like the "easy songs" dedicated to a specific genre. For me it wouldn't be too many topics and would help from sifting through numerous posts of song styles i didnt care for.
Does this mean that you're volunteering to sift and sort through the entire forum to separate everything into specific genres? :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/06/2006 1:44 am
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Why not test the waters by picking a song and writing an instructional article for the site? I'm pretty sure David is always looking for good content?

Posted : 16/06/2006 2:20 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Why not test the waters by picking a song and writing an instructional article for the site? I'm pretty sure David is always looking for good content?
Geoo suggested that earlier - I've added it to my to-do list.

Posted : 16/06/2006 8:28 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Or you can come to Artist Forums and we can start a forum there for this purpose.

There are less members there , but , if you are interested , i am sure it will grow up in no time.

Just a humble suggestion :D

Rahul

Posted : 16/06/2006 8:53 am
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

i would like to see a thread like the "easy songs" dedicated to a specific genre. For me it wouldn't be too many topics and would help from sifting through numerous posts of song styles i didnt care for.
Does this mean that you're volunteering to sift and sort through the entire forum to separate everything into specific genres? :D

Well, er, uh, you see....i got this thing...I just have to get done first.... :lol:

I would be willling, however is Cheesy a genre? I can think of a few songs that would fit..

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Posted : 16/06/2006 12:13 pm
Page 1 / 2