question on moderators ?

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hi every body

I am now being totally sreious , and this has probably been asked before so I will say sorry before I start if it has been covered like a thousand times .

How does one become a moderator ?
( keeping in mind a few people I have spoken to don't know ..
won't mention any names )

I also am interested in the answer myself ...

But I thought it was a ligitamite question and not knowing whether to P M the mods about this , I thought it would be better if posted this question so other GN members could read the answer ..

thank-you
and might I add the Mods do a great job keeping this place free from such touchie subjects and being user friendly to the younger members ..

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 17/03/2006 1:08 pm
(@davidhodge)

How does one become a moderator ?

In all seriousness, you're simply minding your own business and then one day out of the blue, someone asks you.

Back when this board (actually the precursor of this board) got fewer than a hundred posts a month, Paul did it all himself. When things started picking up around here, he asked the folks who were voluntarily writing articles and lessons for help. That was me, A-J, Dan and Laura Lasley.

As more and more traffic started hitting the boards, we kept our eyes out for potential moderators among the posters. A number of mods have come and gone and some have come back again.

When Paul decided that in order to devote more time to the rest of the Guitar Noise site, Nick was chosen as our "Head Moderator" and given "Administrative" powers. For the record, I don't think there's been a better move made on the entire Internet than that one.

We still continually look for potential moderators. You can easily imagine the qualities that are sought, but if you need a list, here's a (very) partial one:

Someone with a history at Guitar Noise, as opposed to someone who's just joined. Note (please!) that "history" does not equal "number of posts."

Someone with an obvious love of music in general and the guitar in particular.

Someone who knows that Guitar Noise is a tutorial site and has a lot more here than just a forum page.

Someone who has demonstrated a keen willingness to help others, as well as possessing patience and a kindly demeanor.

Someone who is capable of saying "I don't know" when he or she doesn't no. Our moderators are not "answer people." That's not their role.

Someone who has it in his or her abilities to visit the site numerous times during the course of the day without jepoardizing his or her job.

There's more, of course, plus the usual "intangibles" that are hard to describe but you just know them when you recognize them.

As the forum pages continue to grow, and as the lives of the current line up of moderators continue to change, we will always be keeping an eye out for more potential moderators.

It's also good to note that you don't have to say "yes" if you are asked. We've a number of members who've turned down the invitation. That's more than cool.

Ideally, the moderators don't do much besides use the boards as they would if they weren't moderators. We've been very lucky in that way and it's a tribute to the vast majority of our forum members that, for the most part, our moderating duties are minimal.

Hope that helps.

Peace

Posted : 17/03/2006 1:50 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter

thank you David

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 17/03/2006 1:53 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You left out the following:

Devilishly handsome
Quick Witted
Center of the known universe
Able to rule with an Iron fist
Must be sadistic
Must be masochistic
Must be able to suspend disbelief on command

And the selection process is rigorous. It goes like this:

"Hey, what do you think of so and so? Seems to be here often, hasn't flamed much and isn't on any sex offender registry that I can see."

"Yeah, he'll do"

....and then you get an invite to the super secret moderators forum and lunchroom.

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:01 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

"Hey, what do you think of so and so? Seems to be here often, hasn't flamed much and isn't on any sex offender registry that I can see."

*whew* no mention of mutliple felony assaults ... I've still got hope! :)

You can make the checks out to Guido . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:06 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ssssh

ix-nay on the elonies-fay

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:24 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And those who impose limit on poor people... :oops:

EDIT EDIT EDIT.

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:46 pm
(@alangreen)

No, no, no - we only impose limits on very rich people

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:54 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I wanted to comment. OOOOOOH I did. But I didn't.

Posted : 17/03/2006 3:15 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nick, count to 10 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 17/03/2006 3:25 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Every have a moment when your walking around and everyone is speaking your language, then all the sudden you cant understand them AT ALL?

WOW, I am having THAT moment.

<running away>
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 17/03/2006 3:33 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Just battling with inner demons

Posted : 17/03/2006 4:17 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

There is another path...

If someone comes up with a good idea for a new Forum on GN, and it is approved, that person may be asked to moderate. This happended with the "Online Jams" forum.

Laz

Posted : 17/03/2006 4:31 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You also need to MemoRise the Moderator's... ABC... Oath!

Avoid negative sources, people, places, things and habits
Believe in yourself
Consider things from every angle
Don't give up and don't give in
Enjoy life today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.
Family and Friends are hidden treasures, seek them and enjoy their riches
Give more than you planned to
Hang on to your dreams
Ignore those who try to discourage you
Just do it
Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier
Love yourself first and foremost
Make it happen
Never lie, cheat or steal, always strike a fair deal.
Open your eyes and see things as they really are
Practice makes perfect
Quitters never win and winners never quit
Read study and learn about everything important in life
Stop procrastinating
Take control of your own destiny
Understand yourself in order to understand others
Visualize it
Want it more than anything
Xccelerate your efforts
You are unique of all God's creations nothing can replace you
Zero in on your target and go for it!