Notifications
Clear all

ranking lessons by difficulty

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One problem I see with ranking things (poll or not) is that there's no one-size-fits-all pedagogy for guitar. What's advanced to one method may not be to another, and some students will need to pass over a lesson that doesn't sit quite right, and come back to it later on.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 04/05/2004 10:44 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

2 cents

I think the lessons are formatted fine. The work that goes into them is over achieving in it self. In the beginning of the lesson it pretty much tells you what you are getting into.

And what is easy to you isn't always easy to the guy next to you that has put in the SAME amount of time that YOU have. Thats just the way it is. It doesn't make you better because he might be able to do stuff you can't.

Again my 2 cents

Posted : 06/05/2004 12:27 am
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi, everyone.

This was just an opinion based upon many years of school and university experience both as a teacher and learner. But just an opinion.

I don't know why people who are not affected by this suggestion complain. And you are not affected because you either are long past the beginner stage or you can just choose whatever lesson you think suits you, despite its assigned level (and yours). Else you are thinking my way.

If you believe it's useless to divide learners in categories because categorising is limiting in itself, just make a search in the Internet for "learner differentiation" or think "The Little House on the Prairie":

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=learner+differentiation&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

If this psychological concept hasn't yet reached the realm of musical teaching, I'm sure it will. You can't teach properly if you don't differentiate among students. But these differences are not absolute: there are similarities that will let you more or less give a student a level. That means each student is a unique individual, but teachers are lucky each student is not a world apart. Otherwise classrooms would become pointless and lessons would have to be personalised to an impractical extent.

I really wouldn't like this to get any further. Mainly because it's getting nowhere.

You either accept it or you don't.
And I will stay around anyway if you let me, although I think life would be easier for me and many others if this easy factor was taken into account: the approximate quantification by experts of a lesson's difficulty.
Which would let me form clusters of lessons, concepts, techniques and so on, at my immediate reach. Which may not be the exact replica of another student's problems, but they will be quite similar. And will free me from having to find what my next step should be and that's pretty time and effort consuming.

Nick:

I really thank you for your interest, especially after my having been rude to you a while ago. If you want me to describe how I used these lessons I certainly will. But if it's unnecessary please spare me the effort.

Thanks and please accept my apologies

Posted : 06/05/2004 12:55 pm
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member

I think it would be most sensible to have a poll for each lesson, but base it on difficulty. For example, if it was a beginner lesson, the poll could be...

For a Beginner Lesson, did you think that this lesson was:
1 - Very Easy, 2 - Easy, 3 - Average, 4 - Hard, 5 - Very Hard. (In a drop-down menu)

Posted : 08/05/2004 8:49 pm
Page 2 / 2