Clear all

Spelling !!!!

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter

A spell checker for posting, situated somewhere between the underline box and the quote box.
Have you read some of the posts ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I've done it, I'm really going to have to watch my spelling from now on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 15/04/2006 11:23 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We'd also have to add a grammar checker, as well - there seems to be widespread confusion over words like "their" (i.e. belonging to them) and "they're" (i.e. "they are"), then and than (e.g. I'd rather.....then....., instead of than).
Although b4 that we hv 2 kill the curse of txt speak. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 15/04/2006 11:37 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I think Greybeard makes a point. I know most of the mistakes I make won't be detected by a spelling-checker: "there base-guitar have for strings", for example.

Heck, we don't need any checkers of any kind, we need a better educational system. :P

Posted : 15/04/2006 12:11 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I think we can excuse all of those members who's first language isn't English :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 15/04/2006 12:33 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The problem is that some folks tend to use a kind of instant messaging code too.
Sigh, I figure my best spell and grammar checker has been downloaded between my ears.... :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/04/2006 12:51 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK... I'll admit to this being one of my pet peeves! I LOVE the English language (I was an English Lit. major) and hate to see it misused and abused!! Sometimes it's all I can do not to go in to a post and edit the spelling!!! Especially when the word "guitar" is misspelled when it's written all over the boards for everyone to see! But, I don't want to offend anyone, so I don't do it! During the course of a day, I find myself wanting to correct people's speech, as well, but I've managed to overcome actually doing it!! For instance, the word "supposedly"... it's like fingernails on a chalk board to me when people pronounce it "supposably". And, don't even get me started on "irregardless"!!! I've pretty much been able to let the "there, their, they're" thing slide, especially when it's written by someone whose first language is not English. There are so many little nuances in the English language that it's difficult, I'm sure, for second language English speakers to pick up on each and every one of them! Shoot, it's obviously difficult for first language English speakers, or this post wouldn't exist!! LOL! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/04/2006 1:37 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If it helps anyone you can do a search on ieSpell. It is a free add-in for IE that is a spell checker for anything you type in a form or field.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 15/04/2006 2:12 pm
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Did you ever ask a teacher, "how do you spell a word" and their reply was "look it up in the dictionary". WELL if I could look it up in the dictionary I'd know how to spell it! How about typing a word you don't know how to spell into MS Word and you can't get the spelling close enough so that the spell checker can find the word your looking for? My second language is English I don't have a first language :wink:
Sorry if this is off topic but I couldn't help myself.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 15/04/2006 3:21 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Greetings, fellow pedants! :lol:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 15/04/2006 3:24 pm
(@alangreen)

Misspellers of the world, Untie!

The trouble with a spellchecker is that the US contingent would complain about English spellings, and the European contingent would complain about American spellings. It'd be a nightmare, especially for the Moderators.

Happily un-spellchecked

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/04/2006 5:49 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

We need less typing speed and more thoughtful posting habits.

Posted : 15/04/2006 7:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OK... I'll admit to this being one of my pet peeves! I LOVE the English language (I was an English Lit. major) and hate to see it misused and abused!! Sometimes it's all I can do not to go in to a post and edit the spelling!!! Especially when the word "guitar" is misspelled when it's written all over the boards for everyone to see! But, I don't want to offend anyone, so I don't do it! During the course of a day, I find myself wanting to correct people's speech, as well, but I've managed to overcome actually doing it!! For instance, the word "supposedly"... it's like fingernails on a chalk board to me when people pronounce it "supposably". And, don't even get me started on "irregardless"!!! I've pretty much been able to let the "there, their, they're" thing slide, especially when it's written by someone whose first language is not English. There are so many little nuances in the English language that it's difficult, I'm sure, for second language English speakers to pick up on each and every one of them! Shoot, it's obviously difficult for first language English speakers, or this post wouldn't exist!! LOL! :D

ROFL....so it isn't just me, huh?

Irrerguardliss if wut it takz too spel an chek gramma, yu shoud all no how two pernunce propperllee. :shock: :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/04/2006 8:27 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Good to know it's not just me, either!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/04/2006 8:49 pm
(@alangreen)

Apparently, rcsrerah syas if the frsit and lsat ltetres of a wrod are in the rhigt pacle you can slitl uadnretsnd waht is bineg siad. The barin flils in the rset of the wrod istlef.

I don't know if that research is genuine - I got it on one of those joke e-mails at work.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/04/2006 9:58 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I dn't thiink speeeling is susch a bigg deel. Neerly evrybody can reed what eye right.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 15/04/2006 10:01 pm
Page 1 / 5