Clear all

Bass Guitar Tuning

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, this may seem a stupid question,but bass guitar is not something I've ever considered.......

What I want to know is, in standard tuning, how is a normal 4-string bass tuned, compared to standard guitar tuning EADGBE?

And how far below the bottom E (6th) string on a guitar is the top (1st, I presume) string of a bass guitar? In semitones or octaves or whatever.... what I'm getting at, where on a bass guitar would you play the note which is the equivalent of the 6th string open on a guitar?

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

9th fret of the G (1st) string of the bass or 14th fret of the D (2nd) string, I believe.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The low E on a bass is an octave below the low E on a guitar, and a guitar's low E can be found on the second fret, D string, of the bass. A bass's G string note is the lowest G on a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So is a bass guitar actually tuned E-A-D-G ?

But an octave lower?

So the low E on a guitar would equate to the 2nd string, 2nd fret on a bass guitar?

:?

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yep. It's almost too easy. :(

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!!!

Vic

:) :) :)

ReplyQuote