Buying a new bass for an experienced guitar player

20 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
14.3 K Views
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I had a small Marshall MB30 but I sold it, I didn't like its tone. It probably is in that price range, too.

The Ibanez SW-series seem to be good, affordable amps. And they have the tilt-function! Really want the sound to be projected to me and not to the downstairs neighbour!

When reading a lof of articles and forum threads people very often advice people to get at least 100W for practice amps. 25-35W with a 8" speaker should be enough if I would want to jam with a guitarist in my flat, right? Or would 10" be better? I'm guessing speaker size is what matter and not wattage so much.

I wish I could get my guitaramp back soon, so I can order the bass. Went to the store today and it was still in service. Unreliable tube amps...

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Correct, the issue is the speaker diameter. The small speakers do not drive so well the low frequencies. I was told that at least 10". I have this combo. It has 60 W and it is more than enough for playing at home. I always play at 25% (around 9 o'clock). As it has a gain control, you can modify it, but it is more than enough.

When I bought the EBS, I also want to try the Ibanez. They have great reviews. I don't remember the exact model but it should be in the same range. The salesman brought a box. He opened. He made the connections and... it didn't work, it was broken. He told me it was the first time and such but... I bought the EBS.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The musicshops here doesn't seem to carry EBS combo amps. Only very expensive head and cabs. Don't want to order an amp online either. I think I'll save up for the Ampeg BA-112 or similar with a 12"-speaker. Comparing the prices the small amps just don't seem to be worth it. It's only about a €100 difference. Then I actually have somthing that at least would be useful as a monitor if needed in the future. Only have to figure out where to put it!

Your amp have gotten really great reviews. I wish it was available here.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is weird that the Swedish musicshops don't carry EBS there. I found the amp and all the pedals here. The Ampeg is a great amp.

Don't be in a hurry with the amp. You can use your guitar amp, too. Don't play loud. My guitar amp is a small 5" and it worked. It doesn't sound like a specific bass amp but it will sound.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Actually found EBS comboamps on a website for one of the musicshops now, thought it was a bit weird I couldn't find them earlier. It's a big difference what's in the musicstores and what's on their webistes here though.

My plan now is to try a lot of basses when I'm London in two weeks. I'm thinking the selection will be better there.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2