Clear all

Cabinet for a 5-string?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bad-headache)
Topic starter  

Hi.

First of all, this is my first post here so... Hello! :-)

I've been playing bass for a few years, managing to get by on borrowed or rented equipment until now. I'm looking for a speaker cabinet for rehearsals and smaller gigs. Buying Your Second Bass Amp by Dan Leseley was a very helpful article but now I'm wondering about his recommended package. I play a five-string, can most 4x10s handle the low B? I use quite a lot of slapping so the treble is important as well. Should I look for a 12', 15' or will I have to get a combo? Thanks.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey, welcome!

You should (if you can) go and try some different cabs out. We can give you opinions and personal experience, but they might not match with your real-world setup. Each bass is different, each pickup, each player's style - flat pick or fingers for example.

4x10s might very well do it. They put out some pretty big bottom even for 5 stringers, but there were more discussions on this at talkbass.com. Some guys say that when you're playing the B string you're not actually hearing the fundamental, but one of the harmonics and that you'd need an 18" to actually hear the fundamental. I don't know if anybody has to be that technical about it. Try some out - it's up to your own ear in the long run.

For me, if I was playing a 5-string, I'd probably just get a 2x10 or a 15 with a horn and not worry about the rest; if it's there, it's there, if not, not.

ReplyQuote