Clear all

guitar to bass help

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for two years and ive reached that "next level" where the only thing separating me from better guitarists out there is just experience...i play scales well and i have a very fluid hand, can do solo stuff well. chords well..etc...
Now my friend has asked me to play bass for his band, and quite frankly i have no idea how the heck to play that thing. Those frets are huge, the the strings are even bigger, and the action is quite high compared to my guitar. lets not even start with the fingerpicking...
What tips can anyone suggest for me to make a smooth transition? Is there any bass scales out there??

I have problems adjusting to the pressure of the strings, the big frets, and the distance between strings...

Can any past guitarist who converted help me out?

Thx
Miguel

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

As far as scales are concerned, if it's a 4-string bass, then it's the same notes as the bottom 4 strings of the guitar.

But an octave lower.

If you've been playing with a flatpick, then you can keep on playing it that way if you like. If you want to use your fingers, normally bass players use the index and middle fingers (i m). You anchor your thumb usually on the edge of one of the pickups. If you're familiar with classical guitar technique, you would be playing what's called 'rest strokes' rather than 'free strokes.'

To get used to the bigger strings and frets and the fret spacing being wider, the best thing I can think of is to just sit with the bass unplugged and watch television and plunk away without thinking about it. You get a sort of subconscious feel for it that way. After an hour or so it'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Hope this helps, and have fun playing bass - I do!

ReplyQuote
(@4ropebottom)

Go For It! Bass is such a cool, cool instrument. It is the anchor of the band along with the drums. If you are wondering whether it can be played with speed and dexterity, check out Jaco Pastorius and you will be convinced.

Go buy a book called "The Complete Electric Bass Player" by Chuck Rainey, Book 1: The Method.

If your hands are small, you may have a little trouble. However, some basses have very narrow necks (Paul McCartney's Hofner, for one).

The action will never be as low as a guitar, because the diameter of the strings is so much bigger. However, the bass you are playing may be able to be improved. Take it to a tech and have it properly set up.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm going through the same phase right now, but trying to keep up with electric guitar acoustic 6- & 12-strings, while practising harmonica and keyboards....sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day are there!!!!

I'm happy to report though, 2 months after picking up the bass for the first time, it seems to be coming a little easier....with the added bonus that the bigger frets on the bass seem to have improved my reach on guitar!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@marquis)

This is an interesting thread. I'm going through the same process in some ways. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years (2 years seriously) and just bought a bass (Peavey Millenium) and bass amp (Peavey TNT 115) this past weekend.

Now, I've messed around on bass before, but this is my first time spending extended amounts of time with it. And to be honest, I got it to gig out with my buddy who plays a lot of amplified acoustic songs. (Ya know, sounds a bit meatier!) In hopes that we can get some more gigs and find a drummer here in Madison Wisconsin.

But I also purchased it becase I think it will open up some more doors and help me to play out music live...which is my goal in the end. I have also been told by various other semi-pro musicians that it will help my guitar playing. I will never give up my six string! NEVER...!! But I do like to sing harmonies a lot, and help the overall sound of any live music experience. And maybe that is what I'm finding difficult right away, learning to sing with a bass instead of a guitar. It is subliminal thing and one I'm unconsciously doing with the guitar, but the timing is vastly different, and it feels odd to sing and play the baseline.

In any case, I'm sure I'll just have to work through that. But I figure, the more instruments the better. Drums come next. And THEN I can start pushing my wife for that new Marshall stack and Les Paul. Mmmmm....music rules man.

"Keep on trucking, I got your backside."

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music while the music lasts." -T.S. Eliot-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Don't be too concerned about the singing bassist thing. Just about every bassist has that problem for some reason. There's been entire threads dedicated to just that topic.

I mean, I hear something like Demolition Man and just give up really. I can play the bassline, I could (years ago) sing the melody (sorta), but never the two together. I figured it was studio-stuff and overdubbing, but I saw the Police in that last concert video (Sting with the coat of many colors), and there he was, singing and playing it at the same time.

The filthy rotten scoundrel!

Anyhow, I can't be without either (bass or guitar) for very long. I just love them both.

Take care.

ReplyQuote