Clear all

Capo on rhythm guitar v. non-capoed bass

28 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Don't worry about the capo. You are playing bass now. Use a "virtual capo".

When you read "capo 2" simply move your hand two frets: the song says "E"; the "E" is in the fourth string, open, ie. 0; 0+2=2; play the note in the second fret; you are playing F#.

If you read "C" with "capo 2", what note is it? Where is it?

Third fret, third string is "C". 3+2=5. You can play it in fifth fret, third string. You are playing "D".

You can also think in the opposite way. If you read "C", as "capo 2" means "one tone higher", you can say "C" becomes "D". And D is fifth fret, third string (or open second string or...).

As David said, it is practice, fortunately!

You are working well! :D

Thanks Nuno. What you said is exactly what I did with My Sweet Lord, and how I re-worked Night Moves. Every now and then I stumble on a little thing that becomes a "lesson" for me and something new to learn. I never would have, nor did learn anything like this in lessons. My last teacher, when I asked about transposing said almost exactly "pffft don't worry about transposing, let the keyboardist do it". :?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Transposing is fun. And it is also easy. When I learn a new song and if it is easy (no too much chords or difficult/unconventional chords) I transpose it just as an exercise.

Yes, "xx2454" is E. It is similar to a D chord. If you move one fret higher more it will be F. I think this is basis of the so-called "CAGED system": you move the chord shapes over the neck with a barre and you get the different chords.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, "xx2454" is E. It is similar to a D chord. If you move one fret higher more it will be F. I think this is basis of the so-called "CAGED system": you move the chord shapes over the neck with a barre and you get the different chords.

Yes, it crossed my mind as I looked at the chord shape that it's probably the D-shape E chord of CAGED.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think it does account for the capo. The 4th fret of the A string is C#, and capoed at fret 2 he's actually playing F#, whose triad is F# A C#. Seems he's playing the 5th as his lead in.

OK, now that I completely mucked that up and over-thought it, I'm taking up the recorder. :?

Nope, you are exactly right. You want a brain work out? A few weeks ago I was jamming with some guys. They decided to play a few songs in drop D, half a step down. No problem, I've got my 5 string, so no need to tune down. We were laying a lot of songs I didn't know, but I could follow since I play guitar and can recognize chord shapes. We started playing a song in Drop Db that I didn't know and I quickly realized how hard it was to follow and do the math needed to figure out what they were playing and play the right notes on the bass.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mind = blown. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well after these two months later I think I finally think I've nailed down a playable version of each song's bass lines. This really was not easy for My Sweet Lord. For the Em and A passages I can stay on E in the bass line. That makes the R of Em and 5th of A. Then I change to the roots of the other chords. Sometimes I use notes that are in common with chords in the progressions. The challenge was that GH changes chords so fast you have to find something to stay on or else it sounds like you're trying to shred. But I ran through both songs a few times with the recordings and was pretty pleased with how they sounded.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Great news! Well done!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Well after these two months later I think I finally think I've nailed down a playable version of each song's bass lines. This really was not easy for My Sweet Lord. For the Em and A passages I can stay on E in the bass line. That makes the R of Em and 5th of A. Then I change to the roots of the other chords. Sometimes I use notes that are in common with chords in the progressions. The challenge was that GH changes chords so fast you have to find something to stay on or else it sounds like you're trying to shred. But I ran through both songs a few times with the recordings and was pretty pleased with how they sounded.

Awesome, when can we expect a recording in Hear, Hear? :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great news! Well done!

Peace

Thanks. It was a challenge but I know I learned a lot. There was just nothing anywhere on the web or published to follow for My Sweet Lord that was in the same key that the recording is in. That's why I had to feel my way through. My Sweet Lord is a beautiful song, but maybe it's because I'm a noob on guitar and bass, it is a tough song. On guitar I am not at all comfortable yet with the middle section that has the

G#dim C#7 F#m B
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

a couple of times.

Ironically it was easier on bass to do

G#dim C#7 F#m B
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)
|--------------|--------------|--------------|--------------|
|--------------|--------------|--------------|--------------|
|--------------|--6--6--6--6--|--------------|--4--4--4--4--| remember, acoustic guitar
|--6--6--6--6--|--------------|--4--4--4--4--|--------------| capoed @ fret 2 - what a pain!

than play it on guitar, for me at this point.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Awesome, when can we expect a recording in Hear, Hear? :D

Hmm... maybe one day when I get better and more confident. I still have my share of flubs and "oops, oh crap!"s when my fingers land on the wrong string. I did that once (once? :lol: ) and it actually turned out to be a good thing. I discovered a non-chord tone which worked really well. :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Be glad they don't tune down to Eb. My guys just decided to do that, and I'm managing with my 5-string without retuning, but I get confused, and some of the open string options no longer work - though I don't use opens often. I may try tuning down for next practice.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Bad Company tunes Bad Company drop D 1/2 step down. :?

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

+1 on JW proposal! :wink:

It is curious but many times when the guitar is tricky, the bass is easy, and vice versa.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2