Clear all

Going shopping for a bass

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My brother in law wants a bass for his birthday, so my sister has commissioned me to pick out a bass and amp, seeing as though I'm the "musician". Now, I know about regular guitars and amps, but not much about bass guitars or bass amps.

He's never played bass, and he wants a six string. His musical tastes as far as I can tell are R&B, funk, and jazz type stuff where you see a lot of 6 string players.

Now, this is just a hunch on my part seeing as I don't know much about bass, but a six string is something you go to when you start getting a little more advanced, correct? Would a 4-string be better for someone who has never played?

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I really don't think a six string is for a beginner unless they have massive hands/ and or really, really long fingers. Even at that, it could be just not a good idea. Maybe, he could start on a regular scale 4 string and try to move up some time in the next year or so to a 5 or 6 string.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

6 strings are MONSTERS, Honestly, I wouldnt recomend anyone play them lol. Really though ibanez makes very nice bases you can get cheap, I have my 91' EX I got for 100bucks and I play it on stage regularly, its just a good instrument thats easy to play, try em out.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help, especially the article. It was very insightful. I ended up picking out an Ibanez (4 string) that I thought sounded and felt pretty good compared to the other ones around the same cost. Granted, it was the first time I actually played a bass, but still. Hopefully, he'll like it.

Yeah, after just looking at a 6 string I could tell it would be a little too much for someone who had never played. Plus they were much more expensive. Thanks again for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

SCORE, ANother Ibanez Convert.... when I get my guitars going I have to quit plugging them like that... :)

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member

Ibanez, Peavey and Yamaha all make great 6 strings, if your brother is starting bass then i highly reccomend not to get a 6 string.

a fender jazz would be pretty good since they are very versitile(sp?)

ReplyQuote