6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys!

Yesterday I bought an EBS OctaBass. I was playing a little bit through the amp and also through the Pandora and headphones. I want to test it deeply this weekend but it sounds really good, much better than Pandora or Zoom equivalent effects that I already have. It is very easy to get cool sounds.

Mainly I wanted an effect for modifying my sound when I play some solos. I was testing my Fulltone Choralflange as well but I searched a different approach (and I also buy anything, you know!). I didn't consider the auto-wahs (or bass Q), I though on delays or reverbs. The octavers are cool effects, I always liked them. (Other advices and recommendations on other effects are always welcomed!)

I'll try to do some recordings this weekend. Meanwhile, here is the EBS link: http://www.bass.se/2009/octabass.htm

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That was on my short list when I was shopping for an octave pedal. I had to choose between the EBS and the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and chose the MXR. I love it, but don't get to use it very often. Look forward to some samples.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I also considered the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. My usual store is waiting for a good number of MXR pedal but they will not receive them until next month. I was listening demos I prefer the EBS sound, I think it is clearer (although I didn't check out the MXR). It is not expensive and it could be compatible with the EBS (different tones to me), if I like it I could buy it as well.

Perhaps I will buy the MXR Carbon Copy when they bring the pedals. I want an analog delay and it could be a good alternative to the Ibanez Delay that I was checking out some days ago (although I am not sure now because they have a Carbon Copy broken and I did read some complaints about the MXR reliability).

(I am recharging the batteries. Tomorrow I will upload the samples.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I recorded the same melody four times. Each time changed the range in the pedal:

1 - OctaBass off
2 - OctaBass on - Range high
3 - OctaBass on - Range mid
4 - OctaBass on - Range low

The other settings: OctaBass Normal 3 o'clock (original signal), OctaBass Octave 1 o'clock (processed signal). I used my J-bass, both pick-ups "almost" open, tone around 60%. I used the Pandora with my usual patch with a little bit of compression. The path was J-bass -> OctaBass -> Pandora -> Mac input.

Here it is the file:

http://www.box.net/shared/d1ztpcfpel

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds really good Nuno. The 2nd clip (range high) sounds best to me. I like the subtle effect.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

According the user manual the "range mid" is more "natural", "high" has a slightly "synthesized" feel. I think it is also my favorite.

I was also testing the "tracking" (I think it is the term they use to define how low can you go without distortion or ugly effects). As the Pandora as the amp I can go until F sharp. F starts to sound bad, it is not able to go as low.

ReplyQuote