Notifications
Clear all

Notes too low on sheet music for bass?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@adm073)
Topic starter  

I've searched all over online both on Google and here at GN... I can't find anything that can tell me what to do about notes that are too low on the bass cleft for playing on the bass. Is there a way to transcribe the notes to a playable range? Can anyone help? :(

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Usually, notes for the bass guitar are written an octave above where they are played, sometimes with the note to play "8va basso", or some such.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I've searched all over online both on Google and here at GN... I can't find anything that can tell me what to do about notes that are too low on the bass cleft for playing on the bass. Is there a way to transcribe the notes to a playable range? Can anyone help? :(

As I don't know what you're doing with that bass part, these options might be completely useless - but I'll mention them anyway.

1. You could move the section of the passage containing those notes up an octave
or
2. Transpose the whole thing to a different key
or
3. Tune the bass down

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Well, I have Bach's Cello Suites. They go to a C below the staff, while bass goes to an E below the staff (I'm naturally playing these an octave down). I just put my bass in cello tuning, CGDA. It makes actually playing the song easier, too.

ReplyQuote
(@adm073)
Topic starter  

I transposed it going up a higher octave and it works perfectly. Thanks!

ReplyQuote