Clear all

# of Strings for a Beginner

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing guitar for close to a year and I have really wanted to pick up bass for the past six months.

I want atleast five strings and possibly six and I was just wondering what the transition is like from a guitar neck to a bass neck.

Should I start out with a four-string and gradually move on to the five? Or should I be able to pick it up with the five?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Depends .. will you need the low B string for the type of music you'll be playing? What makes you say you want at least five strings?

Will you need the high C string on a 6er? Also the neck on a six-string is freakishly wide ... Go out and play a few and see how you like them.

Personally I think the 5-string would be convenient simply for having lower-octave 5th intervals right next to the E string notes, but otherwise I wouldn't get much use out of that B string.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The five would not be too bad, considering you have some experience with a stringed instrument. If you get a five, I'd suggest getting a 35" scale neck. This extra inch really seems to help keep the Low B from "flopping".

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Don't forget that you'll need a bigger/better amp to hit those really low notes as well.

But if you play a lot of drop-D or other de-tunings, a 5-string might be useful.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Imo, a four string and david's bass book is all you need.

Welcome to the low-frequency paradise.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I plan on playing a lot of artsy/progressive metal (think Tool) so I will be playing in drop tunings a lot.

I like playing in a non-traditional form and plan to carry that over to bass - so I thought that having an extra string would help me do that.

Thanks for all the comments, they are really helping me decide.

P.S. Just in case anyone was wondering these were the axes I had my eye on:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio5-Bass-?sku=513094

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-S.U.B.-5-X04-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=515004

Now I just have to go out and get my hands on them and decide; any recommendations on either of those?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't think being progressive/artsy has much to do with the number of strings. After all, that fifth string won't really extent the range of the instrument that much at all. Being non-traditional has everything to do with how you write and play, a truly original person could play the most amazing tunes on a three string guitar or two string bass. I'd suggest you get a basic cheap 4-string first and play around with that. Would probably suck to pay $800 for a 5string only to find out you feel more comfortable with 5 string.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think being progressive/artsy has much to do with the number of strings. After all, that fifth string won't really extent the range of the instrument that much at all. Being non-traditional has everything to do with how you write and play, a truly original person could play the most amazing tunes on a three string guitar or two string bass. I'd suggest you get a basic cheap 4-string first and play around with that. Would probably suck to pay $800 for a 5string only to find out you feel more comfortable with 5 string.
Well, I like to see myself as a very creative and innovative player and was not saying that play a 4-string would make me boring and playing a 5 string would make me innovative. I just thought having another string would open up a few more doors. I wasn't really trying to extend the range, just the possibilities.

By the way, the 5-string Schecter is only $50 more than the 4-string of the same model - so the price is really no problem.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

By the way, the 5-string Schecter is only $50 more than the 4-string of the same model - so the price is really no problem.

Hehe, my point was that it might be wise not to spend that kind of money on either a 4string or 5string unless you really know for sure which one you like best. Just some lame advice, take it for what it's worth.

As for the other thing, it's your call. I myself am kinda an advocate of limiting. Working within the limits takes more creativity then extending it. I never heared anyone claim you would 'open up possibilities' by using a 6string violin or 10 octave piano. But that's just my opinion, really no right or wrong here.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hehe, my point was that it might be wise not to spend that kind of money on either a 4string or 5string unless you really know for sure which one you like best. Just some lame advice, take it for what it's worth.

As for the other thing, it's your call. I myself am kinda an advocate of limiting. Working within the limits takes more creativity then extending it. I never heared anyone claim you would 'open up possibilities' by using a 6string violin or 10 octave piano. But that's just my opinion, really no right or wrong here.
Very valid points. I have always thought of creativity as opening new doors, expanding possibilities, and innovating new ideas and styles.

The creativity you speak of is very different (and probably and a lot harder to come by :lol: ). Taking something simple (not that bass is simple) and making it sound new is an entirely different realm of creativity.

Now I am thinking that I can be creative with a 4-string bass and be separately creative with a 5-string - like they are two entirely different instruments. So I back to baseline on whether to choose 4 or 5 string - I guess the only way to resolve this is to get some playing time on both.

P.S. I hope you didn't feel like I was trying to argue with you before, I really appreciated your comments.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

P.S. I hope you didn't feel like I was trying to argue with you before, I really appreciated your comments.

Not at all. You obviously gave this plenty of thought yourself, and I much prefer you giving your opinions instead of backing off. I might just as well start debating with myself in that case. :)

I've played in total less then fifteen minutes on a 5string bass, so my opinions are all theoretical. If you do get a 5string and do really amazing things on it I might have to adjust my opinions and get one myself. In any case, good luck with whatever you get. Wish I had that kind of money to spend on a bass. :D

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i just bought a bass and think a four string is the way to go. the fretboard gets too wide, it's too much to learn and you don't need the extra string.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Wish I had that kind of money to spend on a bass. :D

I was saving for a Gibson LP Studio but I have been getting this reoccuring(months at a time) desire to buy a bass. These past few months I have been really listening to and following my inner subconscious' desires - and it has really made me a lot happier(even though I have always been a happy person). So that is when I decided to branch out to bass before spending a huge chunk on one guitar.

But after the bass comes the LP! :twisted: :wink:

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote