Overuse syndrome

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ive read some of the threads on the fretting hand but my question is about the other hand. Ive been doing quite a bit of bass playing recently for a gig this weekend. I read that some people rest their thumb on the pickup while they pluck the strings whereas I tend to rest the fleshy part of my hand (base of the thumb) on the body of the Bass itself. I also play the rhythm guitar and that also tends to give my right hand a workout. Not to mention my day job that is computer related with a lot of pushing mice around the place. Lately Ive have noticed I have developed a dull pain in the lower part of my hand which I have put down to overuse. I was wondering what people thought of my Bass technique and is it worth persuing a different one i.e. the resting of the thumb ? does that help with overuse pain ?

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've not experienced that myself, but I've read how it can cause the problems you describe.

I use a modification of the "floating thumb" technique, which I find very comfortable and it also helps with muting the E and A strings when I'm playing on the higher ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Slej,
that's an interesting technique, thanks for the link. After this gig is over I will try it out

cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@supersoad1)

i tend to rest my thumb on the pickup

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The main difference I've noticed between when I'm playing rhythm or playing bass is the guitar position - when I'm playing rhythm I wear the guitar fairly high, playing bass I like it low, so that my right arm's almost fully extended - I found out the hard way that my arm started aching if it was in a bent position.

Because I sort of fumbled my way into playing bass - bought one and started playing straight away - I used my thumb for the E string, index for the A, middle for the D and ring for the G string. When I'm not playing the E string, I tend to rest my thumb on it anyway - it helps mute the string, which I tend to do as soon as I move from one string to another.

To compare, I play most of my rhythm guitar on electric - I rest my strumming hand on the bridge a lot of the time, helps with palm muting. I do quite a bit of fingerpicking though, with my hand in pretty much the same position.

So I'd suggest fiddling about with the strap on your bass - find the position that's most comfortable for you. Of course, you've probably done this already....but it can be amazing sometimes what a difference a slight change of position makes.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic,
when I'm playing rhythm I wear the guitar fairly high, playing bass I like it low, so that my right arm's almost fully extended - I found out the hard way that my arm started aching if it was in a bent position.

I tend to play the same way as you can see here.

although maybe not as low as you.

Ive come to the conclusion that the way I play is a variation on the floating thumb technique. Ive also discovered that I only really have this problem if Ive been practicing or playing too much and have also been playing my Congas. I noticed that after I recorded the "Going Places" song my hand was really sore. There were a fair amount of retakes with the congas in that song. I guess Ill just have to go a little easier on myself.

cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great picture, Paul, for illustrating what I meant! Guitar high, bass low. BTW, have you ever tried using thumbicks, or a heavy bass plec?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I can attest to over-use from my current condition. Always follow what your body allows.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote