Clear all

playing off piano sheet music

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mahal)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am still trying to learn the bass clef. I find myself still thinking the treble clif notes when I see the staff lines but anyway the real question.

With piano sheet music without handy chord changes printed for you is your first option when playing to transcribe the bass clef up an octave and just play the lowest note and/or line? :?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The bass clef letter names are just displaced by one line/space; the first ledger line below it is E instead of C.

So if you see the bottom line, think of it as the second line of the treble - a G note; the second line from the bottom is B, etc. Same is true of the spaces - FACE still holds true, but the F note is now under the staff (the same position as D in the treble clef)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I wish they taught this in HS or whenever so I wouldn't have to learn it now.

I just started taking beginner's piano lessons at the HS & I do mean beginner's.

Bass clef or "F" clef....

Lines from bottom to top...
G ood
B oys
D o
F ine
A lways

Spaces from bottom to top......
A ll
C ows
E at
G rass

It's just like being in the 7th grade again...lol

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

G ood
B oys
D o
F ine
A lways

Good
Bassists
Don't
Fear
Anything!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:shock:
Opps I meant play an octave higher then written because it never seems to fail. As soon as I start getting anywhere I am confronted with notes lower then my E string.

Also right now I find it easiest when just playing off the chord root to start somewhere on the A string, then the 5th and octave above are easiest to get to even when the chords are starting to change.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Actually, you DO play it as written - it's guitar music that's written too high :)

The open low E string on the guitar matches the first ledger line below the bass clef in piano music. Guitar music is usually transposed up an octave to place all the notes within reach of one clef.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Good
Bassists
Don't
Fear
Anything!
I like yours much better...thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

To answer the original question, yes piano music is often transcribed very well for the bassist. Not just the chords, but the bass patterns and transistions are often included. Sometimes it isn't quite right, but it's usually a very good place to start.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I personally have no interest in reading music. It makes me feel like I'm in the 7th grade again. I'm involved in it right now & I think I've had enough, very boring. I'll decide tomorrow.

I can read it slowly but to play as I'm reading is so .....uncreative.....totally canned. I can't stand it. I'm dead against it I'm afraid.

I signed up for a beginners piano class & it is....

The whole class is reading music, it's not what I wanted for a class.......I was looking for fingering......we're not even going to touch the accidental keys.......whuteva.....

vent

ReplyQuote