Clear all

what to look for in a bass

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I am not a bass player I have a friend who is intressed in playing bass but he (and I) know nothing about bass's :? . Plese help me ( and my friend). :|

(@mahal)
Estimable Member

:?
So how old/big is he? How much money does he have? What type of music is he intersted in now?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You should also check out the bass threads in the forum "I'm looking for a new..."

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So how old/big is he? How much money does he have? What type of music is he intersted in now?
he is 5" tall and he wants to play Rock,Rap,Country. about $200

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

he is 5" tall

:lol:

Stretch the budget a little and get one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

Or, look for a used bass, in which case you'll get a $300-400 bass for closer to $200.

Oh, and don't forget he'll need an amp ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

he is 5" tall and he wants to play Rock,Rap,Country. about $200
There are two schools of thought. First is get the best instrument you can so the kid can grow with his instrument. I am a heretic, I come from the second school of thought. If the kid sticks with it then he will choose the follow up instrument to grow with.

That being said at the age you are talking about I would say just go to the local discount store and buy the starter kit bass that looks most like the one his bass hero plays. If he sticks with it he would upgrade if it a kmart bass and he would upgrade if it was the best low end Fender that $200 can buy.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I'm in the market for a bass for a friend as well, & I am considering the Rondo line of instruments; The SX SJB-57 is going for $119.95. The Rondo line has a lot of fans. I've never played one of their instruments, but I only hear good things about them.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd go for a cheapish Bass first time out - I picked up a Freshman Bass a couple of years ago, thinking I'd upgrade if I stuck with it, but it's a well-made bass and it's good enough for me. (After trying mine out, Darth Ordinary bought the same model and he seems to like it....)

However, seems your friend is on the small side (although most people are to me, I'm 6'5" tall....) and might be better suited to a short-scale bass. Try looking at a few websites for more info.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

However, seems your friend is on the small side (although most people are to me, I'm 6'5" tall...)
info. :D :D :D

Vic Yes he is small and its hard to think that he is 13 and 5" tall and I am 14 and 6" tall :roll: and yes I will tell him about small scale bass's

ReplyQuote