Question from reading CIGPB

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Chords v. bass line.

I think I read somewhere there are bassists who play chords. But that's not where I am going here.

In the book I saw examples of bass riffs like this (completely made up on my part because I don't have the book with me):
C E
---------0--0-----------------|-----------1--1------------------|
----------------2--2----------|--------------------2------2-----|
-----------------------3------|------------------------3--------|
--0--0-------------------0----|--0--0--0---------------------0--|

Am I to understand that the chord letter on the top is what the rhythm guitarist is playing, and the bass line reflects notes that are in the chords of the rhythm guitar? It would seem discordant if the bassist just played any old thing, and not notes that are part of the chords.

Is this not unlike choosing a pentatonic scale that goes along with what the rhythm guitarist is playing? For example if the band decided to play in F#maj, the lead is going to use the F#Maj pentatonic for the solo?

Is this what we're talking about here with the bass line v. the chords? Or have I totally misconstrued the concept and got in over my head at this point?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yes, mostly. Knowing the chords and the key of a song are very helpful to any musician. They provide the plot behind the dialog - it makes more sense. You can learn a song just from the notes, but you may have trouble deviating from the chart. Knowing the chords helps if you want to vary from the written score - and knowing the key is even more helpful.

That doesn't mean that you can't add a 4 or 7 or 9, even if their not called out in the chord. The bass often blurs the line between melody and arpeggio.

And the bass can play a minor "lead" over (under?) a major chord too, but that is less common. (Low Rider)

Of course, when knocking around with guitarists, you're lucky if you get the chords - nevermind bass scores. "Watch my hands." :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

@ Minotaur: the basic "chord tones" approach you mention is very helpful to understand. It is indeed related to the "solo" approach using one scale that encompasses those chord tones, but different too. There isn't one way to build a bass line, but you're thinking about things the right way. Laz adds some good food for thought as well. Also you might like the following short lesson on bass chord tones; it should dovetail nicely with what you're reading in the book:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-chord-patterns/chord-tones-are-primary/

@ Laz: "The bass often blurs the line between melody and arpeggio." Great comment! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, mostly. Knowing the chords and the key of a song are very helpful to any musician. They provide the plot behind the dialog - it makes more sense. You can learn a song just from the notes, but you may have trouble deviating from the chart. Knowing the chords helps if you want to vary from the written score - and knowing the key is even more helpful.

Thanks. I figured I was pretty much getting the idea. :D
That doesn't mean that you can't add a 4 or 7 or 9, even if their not called out in the chord. The bass often blurs the line between melody and arpeggio.

And the bass can play a minor "lead" over (under?) a major chord too, but that is less common. (Low Rider)

Improvisation when you are proficient enough.
Of course, when knocking around with guitarists, you're lucky if you get the chords - nevermind bass scores. "Watch my hands." :lol:

Gotta be one step ahead. When I grow up and become a guitarist AND bassist I hope I never do that to my bandmates. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@ Minotaur: the basic "chord tones" approach you mention is very helpful to understand. It is indeed related to the "solo" approach using one scale that encompasses those chord tones, but different too. There isn't one way to build a bass line, but you're thinking about things the right way. Laz adds some good food for thought as well. Also you might like the following short lesson on bass chord tones; it should dovetail nicely with what you're reading in the book:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-chord-patterns/chord-tones-are-primary/

@ Laz: "The bass often blurs the line between melody and arpeggio." Great comment! 8)

Thanks for the info and for the link... I looked at it a long time ago, but had no idea what I was looking at. :lol: It should make sense now. I think all this is going to help in my guitar lessons too.

I did browse far enough into CIGPB to see that creating a bass line is not set in stone rules. When I took lessons last time, my teacher would play a rhythm and I would improvise a melody with whatever pentatonic scale matched his rhythm key. It was fun and sounded at times very jazz-y and blues-y. I get the same idea here with the bass line.

ReplyQuote