Clear all

Reasons for playing bass

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering... why did you all start playing bass guitar?

I started because my friend and I were trying to form a band and she already had a guitar. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about bass, but now I love it.  :)What are your reasons?

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I had played guitar for a couple years, but I got this urge to play the bass too.  I didn't get around to it for quite a while , but my band needed a bassist, and I required very little convincing.  Now I'm finding that my bass playing and my classical guitar playing have a lot in common, which is cool.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I started on the piano, but some school friends were starting a guitar-rock band, so I picked up the bass.  It helped that I knew how to read music, and I knew most of the songs already.  Besides, one note at a time looked promising at the time.
Later, in college, I played both piano and bass, but mostly bass.

One side note, many people assume that I can play guitar because I can read the chords off of the guitarist's hands, but that's because it was a necessity for learning songs quickly when there were no charts.  

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I tell people that I started playing bass because I wanted to be able to do the bass parts on home recordings but the real reason is because the bass players I know just seem to have such fun! And they are absolutely right!!   :) One day I hope to play it well...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jumpinjackie)

i don't actually play bass yet but i'm getting one for christmas...and i agree, bass players always seem to be having so much fun.

just to be the laid-back guy standing in the shadows who everybody underestimates but is really the coolest in the band

going.....dunka, dunka, dunka, dunka, plop,... plop...you know what i mean?

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napolean Bonaparte

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

going.....dunka, dunka, dunka, dunka, plop,... plop...you know what i mean?

I know exactly what you mean.  We sure do have fun.  The guitarists make the women swoon, but they go home with the bassist (the women, not the guitarists).

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I've wanted to since I was eight. See, idols come and go, and while Cobain might stick, one of my all time heroes is John Deacon. Look at him... he's cool, relaxed, he doesn't care... and that's the guy I want to be.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I played guitar for a while and then got a bass so I could learn that, too.  I sucked so bad at bass. :-[ Then awhile later, I tried again.  Surprise to me, I played a lot better than before.  The reason I tried again was to be able to record a demo.  That is my main goal at this point, to record a demo.  I'm learning drums and keys currently and trying to figure out what kind of recording system to get.  The best part of it all, I really think I love playing the bass more than playing the guitar and way more than the keys.  I still think I could love drums, but I'm a ways off.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote